We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Rules

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train Rules

New to international travel... my husband always carries a multi-tool with a knife on it. I've checked the http://www.italiarail.com/ website and I cannot find rules. Will he be able to carry it on the train or will it be confiscated?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,591 Reviews
from US$73.50*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,883 Reviews
from US$58.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from US$391.20*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Rules

There are no checks about what you carry on board trains in Italy. After all, you cannot hijack a train and have it go to Baghdad.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,370 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Rules

Also, as you are doing research, that's not the web site you want. The official web site for the Italian state railroad is www.trenitalia.com.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,705 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Rules

While there are no checks, you are not allowed to carry evil-smelling, noxious, or hazardous items, which are further defined in Italian on the Trenitalia website.

But a multi-tool penknife would be perfectly acceptable, and in any case no-one will know that he has it.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 12:10
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Rules

So that means no discreet can of pepper spray to gaurd off the pickpockets? Lol...actually im serious....

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,705 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Rules

If you're really serious.... pepper spray is legal in Italy, within defined concentrations. And their use is legal in self-defence. So I think they'd be OK on a train.

However, whether their use is legal in defence of property is doubtful - pickpockets are trying to deprive you of your property without your even noticing they're there, they're not attacking or endangering you personally. So the use of a pepper spray on a pickpocket could be interpreted as criminal assault.

As fas as Trenitalia is concerned, baggage which disturbs or injures other passengers incurs a €200 penalty, reduced to €50 if paid on the train.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Rules

One place he will not be able to bring that tool is St. Peter's. You will go through a security screening similar to airports, where all bags are scanned as well as your body. If you are going to the Vatican, keep it in the hotel that day. There are a few other museums throughout Italy that screen similarly.

Mentioned in this post
Peter's
Peter's
130 Reviews
Dorno, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
246 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Rules

Last summer i forgot my Swiss knife in my backpack i checked in to enter saint Peter and even if they scanned it they didn't see it.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Rules

As often does the TSA miss items in their scans. However they are not allowed.

9. Re: Train Rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16