We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican tour booked - can I go to St Peters first?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican tour booked - can I go to St Peters first?

I have booked a guided tour for Vatican /Sistine chapel for 1.30 in the afternoon. Will I be able to go to St Peter's square first and have a look around the general area first. If so, how much time should I leave to get into the Vatican to begin my tour?

I am flying at 9pm that night so I wanted to spend all day there if possible.

Also I know I can skip the queue - is it obvious where to go, do you just walk past all the people queing and go straight to security of is there a seperate enterance?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,271 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican tour booked - can I go to St Peters first?

You can visit the basilica at any time you wish buy you'll need to stand in the security line. It can take up to half an hour if the line is really long. You can spend as much time in the basilica as you wish but I would leave at least a half hour to forty five minutes before the start of your tour in order to get to where you need to be. Just follow the walls (and crowds) around to the door. Show the guard your reservation and he'll put you in at the door, which is the front of the line.

Donna

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
528 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican tour booked - can I go to St Peters first?

If you get there first thing it is much less busy. Leave it till 9.30 and all the coaches will have arrived!

There is the basilica and then another queue to go up the many steps to the top of the dome. People really do follow each other round like sheep so if you read up on it first and go where you want (rather than trailing round ) you can do it before the Vatican

it's fab but it'll be a long day so be prepared.

3. Re: Vatican tour booked - can I go to St Peters first?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 06:16