We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Trevi Fountain works!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
483 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
The Trevi Fountain works!

Brevity is not my strong suit. I apologize in advance and must warn you away from this post if the length will cause you aggravation. With this said, I include information about both past experiences, and future inclinations, with the hope that I may receive advice that is more tailored to an upcoming return/second trip to Italy.

Okay, so we did the whole "make a wish and throw a coin over the shoulder into the fountain ritual" and wondered if this would indeed guaranty a return to Rome. Well, it worked! But life seems so much crazier these days and I have had a super tough time of planning the trip this go round. I have only just recently finished with the planning of the transportation, connections, hotels etc for this trip. My wife and I have multiple stops....Rome is the first.

The problem is largely that I'm overwhelmed and senile. I can't remember many of the details from 5 years ago. I can't remember the names of all of the churches (which is instructional itself)...but I do remember loving Rome...and having some favorites. I apologize in advance for any misspellings.

I especially loved ancient Rome. We took a Context tour through the Palatine Hill and into the Forum, We visited the Capitoline Museum, The Pantheon, the piazza where the cats hang out, Piazza Venezia....loved the typewriter/wedding cake. Mussolini made a mistake but it is gorgeous! We visited the Colloseum during the Context tour as well. I vowed we would spend more time in Ancient Rome on return and want to spend at least two days dedicated to these types of site. Btw...we visited ancient apartments under a church near the Colloseum...but don't remember the name? I must say that I did not get enough time in the Forum and think a self guided tour might be best for this time around. We might want to take a different approach to the Colloseum (underground or night tour?) And we may want to visit Trajans Market as this was something being worked on during our last visit. We also saw the Vatican/Vatican Museum with Eden Walks...and took the Scavi tour under St. Peters... which was awesome! All the tour operators were great! We also visited numerous piazza's including Piazza del Popolo....and the Spanish Steps. Oh, and we visited the Protestant Cemetary....and looked at historical monuments. And of course the streets and fountains of Rome....Trastevere....and I'm sure other places I can't recall at the moment.

So the question is...where should I begin to plan? What do I do? Okay....so I know this is crazy to ask....but I thought I would put it out there....boldly and see if I get a response...some initial feedback. Something I haven't considered or some plain good advice.

What I'm thinking about is this....we have 5 days/ 6 nights in Rome. (and then two more nights at the end of the trip)

Some initial thoughts would include return visits to Piazza Venezia, The Campidoglio...Palatine Hill, The Forum, The Colloseum (again...perhaps for a night or underground tour)and perhaps a return to the Vatican.(although I think we may skip it this time) We are also likely to want to see new sites such as the National Museum or historic residence. We may want to get out and see the other hills of Rome, perhaps make a visit to the Aurelian Way?...to get a feel for the road, see what remains of an aqueduct. (I believe there is an aqueduct park?) Oh...and maybe see the catacombs? My wife loves anything to do with death/medicine.... and I like Gelato! LOL If I could take her somewhere that was pertinent to autopsies as during the Renaissance....she would be very excited!

So this time around I think we will want to experience more of Rome outside of churches and museums. Perhaps find a part of town to live in when we retire (just checking to see if you are awake)

We love fountains, ancient structures and the food! I had even thought we might do a food class at some point while in Italy....but think this is more likely to happen when we are in Emila Romagna or Umbria. Oh, and I feel we missed out on some of the more simple things about life in Rome....like the passeggiata....or a visit to an outdoor early in the day market. We only had one walk in Campo di Fiore... at night...but it was so nice..the ambiance....the.interaction with the merchants in the street....really something we will try to do again. We want to take in more of the local culture and would like ideas in line with these great experiences. Btw....I read taking in a futbol game between Roma and Lazio can be a great experience.

So that's a major dump of information! I hope if you're still with me and that you can offer up some advice. I'm sure there isl something that we have not considered. Perhaps there is something slightly off the beaten path?

I really need to work on this as our arrival in Rome is soon. With about 6 weeks to plan a month long trip I'm getting nervous..more with each passing day. .

Grazie!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Trevi Fountain works!

I keep coming back to this question, in the hopes that someone else was able to help. It's so wide-ranging that I feel inadequate to answer more than a little of it. Probably others feel the same way. Maybe you should break it down into several questions, and post them separately, with titles that are related to what you're asking. For example, I skip over questions about night life without even reading them, because what I know about night life could be engraved on the head of a pin. Some people read only questions about restaurants, or about archaeological sites. If your title is vague, maybe no one will read it.

Anyway, I'll try to answer some of your questions about archaeological sites.

Ostia Antica is a fascinating site; Ostia was the ancient Roman port city, and many of its ruins are very well preserved. The site is even a little larger than Pompeii, but nowhere near as well known, so that it's never very crowded. Best of all, it's just half an hour by urban train from central Rome.

Trajan's Market is certainly worth a visit. It was mostly administrative offices, with shops at ground level, as in most ancient Roman buildings.

The Domus Romane, under Palazzo Valentini, near Piazza Venezia, has an excellent sound-and-light show that brings to life the ruins of an ancient residence. There is at least one English-language show daily.

The Case Romane, under the church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo, are the ruins of ancient shops, workshops, and residences, with interesting evidence of their re-purposing over the years. It can be a little hard to decipher, so you need a good guide book, or a guided tour. They offer their own tours, but at irregular hours.

I think you probably saw the Roman remains under the Basilica of San Clemente. There's an early Christian Basilica on a lower level, and on the level below that, there are some ancient dwelling and a Mithraic temple.

You must mean the Via Appia Antica rather than the Via Aurelia. There are numerous ruins and tombs along this road, on parts of which you walk on the ancient paving stones. It's best visited on a Sunday, when the road is closed to all except local traffic. The Aqueduct park is nearby, but there's no easy way to get between the two. You have to go back to central Rome and take the metro back out.

Here is an earlier post I made about the catacombs:

tripadvisor.com/…52756440

I have two corrections to that post:

You don't have to change metros at the Bologna station. Just make sure you get on a B1 metro.

It appears that at least the Priscilla catacomb allows private guides to conduct tours.

If nothing else, I've moved your question back up to the top.

The Baths of Caracalla are among the most interesting ruins in Rome.

Austin
Level Contributor
483 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Trevi Fountain works!

Thank you bvlenci....very much. I am as stressed as ever about planning and haven't moved an inch since this post. Kind of frozen while at the same time living a hectic life. Due to HOA concerns I had to spend the last 3 days....with two more coming this week... tearing my yard out to replace the grass that is not growing under my now dense canopy of shade.

As for my original post....I realize my error. I was planning to return and create a shorter post....realizing that I have yet again grabbed the proverbial hot frying pan and made my post too long. And it's too general as you pointed out.

We saw a lot and would like to redo a few of the favorites and pick so as to have a nice list of sites for the second time around. (organized by day....which I remember you are excellent at doing btw :-) ) Case in point....seeing the Appian Way and/or Aqueduct Park on a Sunday. Perfetto!

I can say, we want to explore Rome with an emphasis on ancient sites....both ones we've seen and ones yet to be seen....and with an emphasis on just enjoying being in the city. I also think seeing more of Rome at night would be nice. I don't want to be stuck inside as much this time around. I would say that any endeavor that puts us at a market, on a nice walk...in an interesting shop...or experiencing something uniquely local would be excellent. I will have to consult the guidebooks and come back with a concise list.

Oh...and fwiw....you are correct. We visited the Basilica of San Clemente....and it's underground. I think we also visited "The Case Romane, under the church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo". Weird hours indeed. I think this was a bit hard to find....we did it on the spur of the moment after seeing the Colosseum. We saw San Clemente the same day as SS. Giovanni e Paolo.

Anyway, gotta stop. I will come back with a shorter list.

Thank you for the bump...and thank you for the tip about seeing the Appian Way....on a Sunday.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Trevi Fountain works!

Besides whichever sites you decide to try to include (try not to overplan, it takes away some of the pleasure of just enjoying being there and chancing upon unexpected things) - wandering Rome at night is one of its many delights - all the piazzas, side streets, bridges - I just don't think you need to plan all that much - you have enough evening/nights there to just tuck your map in a pocket and walk; you aren't going to get lost in a serious way -

You may want to choose another guidebook this time that focuses on ordering things by neighborhood - that may help clarify some choices for you.

But - for me, most of everything I found that I fell in love with that does not require an entrance into a building - was just me wandering around not even looking at a map and then only looking if I somehow managed to pass the same spot twice; there are some wonderful tiny squares tucked off side streets that I've never even found twice as I didn't look on the map as to where I was and they are so small, I just never managed to find them again - this is all over the place

I suggest not stressing - it takes too much pleasure away from looking forward to going - take a list of places you want to see, take your map, see how the weather is on any given day, how you feel and take off - (though do check websites to confirm admission times/dates) -

Sorry- I couldn't begin to answer the original question if my life depended on it (thankfully, it didn't).

Austin
Level Contributor
483 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Trevi Fountain works!

Thank you MomCat....I think what you say smacks of the truth. I just want to have a certain peace of mind that we have a good organized list to work from....with a general idea of what day we should to try and do certain things. I agree with you and believe that we should leave more time for wandering around. I really want to see the piazzas....the morning markets....the day markets....more shops....more unexpected pleasures. With this said...I definitely want to see more of ancient Rome...including some parts that we've already seen.

We can't move as fast this time...due to my wife's variable health concerns. So we will have to have more flexibility. I think I definitely want to see Ostia Antica, The Appian Way, Aqueduct Park, Catecombs, The National Museum....to include Cryta Balbi, Baths of Diocletion, and the church....which escapes my memory. Baths of Caracala, Imperial Forum and Trajans Forum.Market are all on the list...as would be a repeat of Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum. Oh and a night or underground tour of the Colosseum might be in order. Other than that...perhaps a cooking class (not too long)....or some other treat that's off the tourist path where we could have a more personal interaction.....would be great. I'm not sure but that this list could be tweaked a bit after further advice. So that is just a quick off the top of my head list. I've surely missed something....especially with all of the ancient sites....but in the interest of brevity....

That's about as concise as I get! LOL

Thanks again!

Austin
Level Contributor
483 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Trevi Fountain works!

PS. We arrive into Rome at about 08:00 on a Friday and will stay 6 nights. We leave on a Thursday morning. So we have pretty much 6 days with the first spent getting organized...getting a SIM card for the phone, getting Roma Pass, getting euros and eating gelato. Oh....and finding a place for nice lunch near Piazza Navona! :-) So we will have part of the day Friday....and all day Saturday through Wednesday to see the sights in Rome.

6. Re: The Trevi Fountain works!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16