We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

I'm heading to Rome for 10 days in May. My wife is giving me my #1 Bucket List wish for my 70th birthday. I have all my tours set, but have two questions:

For the Papal Audience, I keep reading that when they open up, there is a mad dash for the front rows of seats. Does this mean that they clear people thru security before they open and these people wait in a secure area or do they just run individually after they clear security?

I'm not excited about any overnight trips but am wondering what it as the end of the two Metro Stops? Or something good to see along the way to the end? I'm also assuming that if you go to the end, the same train will take you back to where you started from.

Thanks in advance.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

Well, at the end of the two Metro lines are some dull suburbs... nothing to write home about. Of course, if you reach the end of these lines you'll have to change the platform in order to take the train going in the other direction.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 18:05
Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

afraid of that. Thanks for the info.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

It could be pointed out that at some metro stations you can switch to other trains and/or COTRAL buses, taking you out into the countryside. For example, from P. Mammolo you get buses to Tivoli.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

Hi, At the far south end of the Red Line of Metro, is the Parco degli Acquedotti, which I believe has 2 ancient aqueducts going through it. I'm going to visit it this May - the photos of the park look very scenic. I plan to get off the Metro at Subaugusta (2 stops before the end of the line).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,678 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

The Aqueduct park is a wonderful destination. My son spotted it when he was researching our Rome trip a few years ago and he and I took the metro out there. The park is a fair walk from the stop through suburban apartment blocks -- but the destination, up close and personal with the great aqueducts is worth the trip. When he and I were there, we were the only people visiting it. It was some time in May. They are the aqueducts you see from the train coming into Rome from Naples, I believe.

Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

All good info...and some great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

If you switch trains or get on a bus, can you still use the "Weekly Pass" that you buy for 24 euros?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

Yes. The 7-day ticket is valid for unlimited travel on Metro, buses, trams, and suburban train lines within the area run by the City of Rome.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

The Aqueduct Park is four stops before the end of the A line.

There's a big prison in Rebibbia, at the northern end of the B line. Not that I've ever been there, mind you ....

10. Re: What's at the end of the Metro Lines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16