We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catacombs

Robertsdale, Alabama
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Catacombs

I have been considering booking a tour to the Crypts, Bones, and Catacombs with Walks of Italy. After reading some posts here it says that each catacomb has its own guide you are required to use. I am confused. Does anyone have any information to help me decide? Thanks

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catacombs

Bvlenci explains in her informative post from last fall:

tripadvisor.com/…52756440

Warren, MI
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catacombs

Bvlenci has a perfect post explaining all the catacombs. Thank you for reposting the page. I wish I knew how and find great old posts like that.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catacombs

The search bar above the posts is my friend :-))

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catacombs

I went on the Walks of Italy catacombs tour a couple years ago. We did the Priscilla catacombs along with a few other underground sites, including the bone crypt. It was great, my kids loved it. Their guide led us the entire time, we were not passed off to the local tour groups working inside the catacombs, so they had another arrangement and we got to stay in the small group. For us it was worth it to get a more robust tour! Best of luck, we can't wait to get back to rome!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catacombs

I wasn't aware that the Priscilla catacombs allowed outside guides to conduct tours.

I've taken the English language tours offered by the Priscilla catacombs twice. Once we were in a group of four people (including two of us) and once in a group of six people (including four of us). There's no need to pay an outside tour guide in order to get a small group tour. Both guides were excellent.

I've also been part of very small groups at the Domitilla catacomb (once, with an Italian language group) and at the St. Agnes catacomb (twice, with English language groups). Both had excellent guides. At the Santo Stefano catacomb, we were with a medium-sized group of Spanish speakers because we didn't want to wait for an Italian tour; this guide was also good, although our Spanish is only so-so. The only catacomb where the group was of an unwieldy size was at the San Callisto catacomb (twice, both with English language guides, and once we had an awful guide).

6. Re: Catacombs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:16