We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hat rental for wedding

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wiltshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hat rental for wedding

I'm going to a wedding in Rome in June and want to wear a big hat but it will be too difficult to pack. I was wondering if there's a shop where I could hire one?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hat rental for wedding

Isn't that what hat boxes are for?

I certainly don't know of any place, anywhere, that rents hats. Anyway, very few people in Italy wear hats to weddings.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hat rental for wedding

I have only seen the big hat phenomenon at UK weddings -

Agree - hat box if you need a big hat; never heard of a place that rents hats.

Do they rent hats where you live?

Never seen it here in NYC either.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hat rental for wedding

It's quite common to hire hats here in the UK.

mesh

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hat rental for wedding

Probably because they are commonly worn at such events. Sounds like a smart business to have if such hats are a popular choice.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hat rental for wedding

Not only for weddings but also major horse racing events eg the Epsom Derby and Royal Ascot.

mesh

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hat rental for wedding

Yes, I know but I was just responding based on the OP's question - I have been to numerous such events in London and elsewhere and felt like I was really missing something by not having such a hat as I saw on others - it is quite a neat tradition.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hat rental for wedding

The only hat shop that I knew of (Viganò, in via Minghetti, 7 - near Trevi fountain) closed in July 2013. Renting or wearing fancy hats at ceremonies is not an Italian thing, I'm afraid...

Edited: 29 March 2014, 16:45
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hat rental for wedding

I've been to lots of weddings in Italy, and only once saw a woman with a big hat "alla inglese". I don't know, maybe she was English.

At Italian weddings, I see an amazing variety of attire, and no one seems to feel overdressed or underdressed. At the same wedding where I saw the woman with a big hat, who also wore a long gown, the witness (equivalent of "best man") was wearing jeans.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hat rental for wedding

Thanks for your help everyone and yes, I know what hat boxes are for I just wanted to avoid travelling with one :)

10. Re: Hat rental for wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:17