We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tivoli

N Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tivoli

We are going to Rome during the first week in May and want to take a tour to Tivoli. Would a 1/2 day tour be long enough to do both villas or should we opt for a full day tour?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tivoli

Consider at least 3/4 of the day unless you are on a military forced march.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tivoli

Which villas are you talking about? If one is Villa d'Este then to enjoy it properly, you will spend at least three hours there. Also, if taking the bus there from Central Rome, that will be 90 minutes minimum, and the return equally as long. For me, Tivoli is a full day visit. Just too much to enjoy. If you also mean Villa Hadriana, then to enjoy it as well, it will be more than a full day. If you just want to 'see' it, and take it off your bucket list, then I suggest you buy a tour from a tour company.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tivoli

we hope to visit both villas and intend taking a tour with a company. Most of the tours are 4 or 5 hours which I thought was not long enough for both, there are a couple which are 7 hours so one of them would appear to be the best option. Just that reviews for the shorter tours said they had plenty of time although don't see how. Is there any particular company you would recommend?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tivoli

When you say "both villas", which two are you referring to? Villa d'Este, Villa Gregoriana, Villa Adriana?

Best case it's 90 minutes from Rome to Tivoli, so that's already three hours just in transit. A four or five hour tour would be a waste of time, in my opinion. Even if they hit it just right and it only took an hour each way, why would you spend as much time getting there and back as being there?

I think to really enjoy your the time, effort and money you'll invest in getting there, you need a full day tour.

As for reviewers who say it was enough time, consider the depth of your interest in the site (or sites), vs. other people. If it's subject matter that's important enough for you to go out of your way to see, odds are you care more than the average bear, so to speak. What is enough for a not-very-interested observer may not be enough for you.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 23:38
N Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tivoli

Sorry I didn't know there was more than 2 villas. We want to visit Villa d'Este and Villa Hadriana. It seems our instincts were right and no point in making a very short visit so we will look for the longest day tour we can find. Thanks for your help.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tivoli

Since you want to see Hadrian's Villa (Villa Adriana) you absolutely need a full day, as the site is quite large and just walking around it takes up a good bit of time.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tivoli

Take the longer tour; we went on the shorter tour and it simply wasn't long enough. Be aware that that walk up to Hadrian's Villa is a killer if you have bad knees or are out of shape or possibly older. Both my dad and I had problems with it.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tivoli

Thanks, we are fairly fit although I get sore feet. Been to Rome before so know how hard the city is on the feet.

9. Re: Tivoli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 07:15