We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best neighborhood in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best neighborhood in Rome

Hi, We are planning a week in Rome in mid-July. What neighborbood is the best to stay in? By best I mean close to the major sights, but in a quiet neighborhood close to public transportation, maybe even residential neighborhood Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

I don't think that such a place exists. For a start, it is some 2.5 miles from the Vatican Museums to the Colosseum, so nowhere is close to all the major sights. And central Rome is a bustling metropolis, with little in the way of quiet neighbourhoods.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,871 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

LOL - that goes to show you something about perspective. To me, two and a half miles is incredibly close together. Compare that to the distance between key sites in Paris, or New York, or (God forbid) Los Angeles!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

It is much further than I would want to walk.

NY
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

2.5 miles is 2.5 miles, and although I walk about 3 miles every day, walking in any city with cross streets, traffic and hard pavement, cobblestones, etc can be more challenging to some of us, as well as the 2.5 miles back. So location and access to public transportation can be a factor for some, it is up to each to decide. The time of year is also a factor, like hot and humid weather.

But to the point, why not view a guidebook and on line map of Rome and then look on T/A hotels or venere.com to sort out possibilities by location and price and also reviews. Everyone will have their favorites, but you really need to decide

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,871 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

I might get your point if there was nothing to see between the two points ... but you can't walk more than one block in Rome without coming upon an important bit of history, or a major work of art, or architecture, etc.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

"By best I mean close to the major sights, but in a quiet neighborhood close to public transportation, maybe even residential neighborhood"

Rome is a big place. Quiet AND close to major sights (less than 1 mile) does not compute.

The area that is recommended to first times is the area defined by Campo Fiori, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona for being close to major sites. This area is tourist central and while there may be some quiet places tucked away within it, it is not on the whole quiet.

I stayed in the area in back of the Colosseum twice now (the Celio). That area is quiet at night, but the Colosseum is an outlier on the tourist district. The Colosseum is a hub for public transport (Metro, tram, and bus) and we used public transport a lot to keep from walking more than about a mile (20 min) when we stayed there.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

On this google map the Colosseum is the red circle and wherr we steyd is the green house. Zoom out to see more touristy sites

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

There are several fairly quiet neighborhoods that are not *terribly* far from the center. The neighborhood to the northwest of Piazza Navona is one I like, as is the Monti neighborhood. Anywhere in central Rome will have some tourists, however, and keep in mind that completely residential neighborhoods don't have a great variety of restaurants.

The quietest place I ever stayed in Rome was the Villa Magnolia, on Via delle Fornaci, on the Janiculum Hill. It's like being in the countryside. We even heard a rooster crow in the morning! And yet, it's a fifteen minute walk, downhill, to St. Peter's Basilica, and a fifteen minute walk, downhill in the other direction, to the heart of Trastevere. (Going back up, you might want to take a bus!) The one negative was that the entrance is on a narrow street without sidewalks, and cars didn't exact drive slowly. We got used to it after the first day, and really enjoyed out stay there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

I actually don't find the neighborhoods in the "touristy" parts to be all that noisy because some are tucked away in piazzas or near piazzas where there's little to no traffic - You will usually - wherever you are hear the motorbikes (a sound I am stupidly fond of and get excited whenever I hear one here) - some campos like Campo de'Fiori have bars that are open late and it can definitely be noisy on nice nights - but, down some of those side streets, I have found lots of quiet spots in Trastevere, Campo de'Fiori, Piazza Navona, Pantheon - just naming the ones I am most familiar with late at night ('round midnight or later) -

I would not want to be on one of the main streets where the buses and traffic can be noisy especially starting early in the morning -

1f9mom
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best neighborhood in Rome

Check this out:

Hotel Aventino

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d529605…

It is where we are staying in 2 weeks, & appears to be in a nice more residential type neighborhood, within easy walking distance of the Colosseum! Thought it might suite your needs!

Ann