We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IPad taken from room in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Canadaa
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
IPad taken from room in Rome

My IPad was taken from my room in Rome. Can anyone local help me? I tried the find my IPad but it said it isn't on so they can't locate it. Can I change the four digit access code remotely? Can I file a report with the police online? I don't speak Italian. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

Are you in a hotel or what? Your hotel (if you are in one) should be able to tell you the nearest police station. Maybe they have a security camera that might reveal something - your post is somewhat unclear as to who might have gotten into your room and how. (I always lock up stuff like this in my locked suitcase) -

Report it to the police so you can at least then get reimbursed through your travel insurance (if it covers such theft, mine does - they are all different, so you should check) but to do so, you need the police report.

Go to the nearest police station to you - if you are not in a hotel, stop in a nearby cafe/shop/whatever and request info as to the nearest one.

My iPad has that feature and I really have no idea how it works but will check - I don't think you can change your passcode remotely but not sure. After you report it to the police - do some online searching/googling for your answers - or go to the Apple support pages - you will find your answers.

This is what I found (but I didn't look at more than this one): tabtimes.com/how/ittech-os-ipad-ios/2013/02/…

It indicates the "find my iPad" feature must be on for it to work.

But, keep searching to see if there aren't some creative answers out there -

Good luck

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

Found this - does seem to say you can lock the device even if it is offline and the lock will then work when it is put online again by someone:

http://help.apple.com/icloud/#/mmfc0f0165

I do believe you need an iCloud account for this -

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

If you were in a hoterl, be aware that under Italian law the hotel is legally responsible in case of theft - as long as you

1. file a Police report -at the Police HQ in Rome (AKA Questura) you can file one in English around the clock

2. prove that you actually had one in your possession during your visit

The hotel will probably refer you to its insurance carrier rather than reimbursing you directly, but.. it's worth giving it a shot.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

I wonder how one goes about proving you had one in the first place?

Maybe a good idea for future visitors to take photos of themselves with their gizmos with time stamped photos to prove it?

Sounds like a challenge to prove.

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

Better yet, upon check in, get out all your gizmos and other valuables that might be stolen, and lay them out in front of the proprietor and you holding a local paper with the date showing, and the name/logo or interior of the hotel showing in the photo. Maybe get your passport in the photo also

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

More info on the hotel's responsibility here: http://www.sostourism.net/the-hotel/ (although the Italian version is more complete and goes into more details, incl. those exceptions where no responsibility would apply -- e.g. when the guest did not lock the room upon leaving).

Edited: 01 April 2014, 21:37
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

All tricky - which is a drag for the legitimate victim of a theft but good to have safeguards for those who are less than honest and report an item as stolen that they never even had.

I'll stick with relying on my travel insurance which does cover stolen/lost items up to a certain amount and I make sure never to take stuff that goes over that amount.

But, the OP just says "room" - I'm curious - as most often these types of posts will include something about how the hotel handled the issue if it took place in a hotel.

Just read OP's others posts - sounded like he/she was originally thinking of staying at the airport (from what I could make out) maybe they ended up in a hostel and it would hard to prove who an item belonged to if in a shared room, etc.

Won't know anything unless and until the OP comes back to the thread.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,651 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

As a matter of interest, how did they open the safe?

For advice on i-pad finding/tracking/blocking procedures, I think the best place to ask would be the travel gadget forum, where you have that sort of expert: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

No safe was mentioned.

I just checked it on my iPad - I did have it on (the "find my iPad") and I followed the instructions in the link I gave above (the iCloud one) and I was able to track it and, of course, it popped up as being in my apartment but that link provides the info as to how to lock and change passcode even if the location service is off -

There is also a way to erase the iPad in the event it just is not found and you don't want anyone to have access to info on it.

But, if you haven't set up an iCloud account, I don't believe it can be done because that is how you access it from another computer -

I hope you do have the cloud set up and hope you do find it -

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,529 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IPad taken from room in Rome

Was it just sitting on the bed or something? If not only thing I can think of is that someone who was leaving the city to the airport may have saw it and then took it.