We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another train question

Level Contributor
798 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Another train question

Regarding the train system-

I'm flying into Venice going to Florence and then to Rome, and planning to take the (fast) trains.

I understand there are two trains, just now beginning to research so I forgot the names/ differences, sorry, but my question is about when to purchase the tickets.

Looked up the train schedule today, but balked when I saw the tickets were non refundable.

I don't know the exact time (of day) I want to leave each city, it will all depend on how much I am enjoying myself, whether I might want to dilly-dally or get moving on quickly!

Do the preferable seats get sold out? I must have a window seat facing the direction we are going.

I can go ahead and plan to check out of the hotel and be at the train depot by about one o'clock, I think that would be realistic, but what if I wanted to rather depart at two or three?

So, I only want to pre purchase if there are reasons or consequences for comfort and choice.

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,186 Reviews
from US$78.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
533 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,876 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,703 Reviews
from US$59.70*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another train question

So, don't pre-purchase; buy on the day and pay full price (the "base" price you see on the schedule)

You never know which way a train will be facing so I've never had luck with getting a ticket with that requirement - there's no way to know.

The discounts are for people who do know their plans and want to take advantage of the offers - You will still find tickets available, as you can see from the train schedules (www.trenitalia.com) there are plenty of trains each day between these cities.

Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another train question

If you can tie yourself down to a specific date and departure time then you can get cheap advance purchase tickets. But as you discovered there are no refunds or changes once purchased.

If you can't do this, then your tickets will be more expensive. The two trains you refer to are actually two train companies. The state run Trenitalia and a private competitor Italo Treno. Both operate trains on the route you want, and both are good. So just boils down to personal choice.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another train question

Neither company can gaurantee seats facing forward, because at some stations the train reverses direction. If the train isn't full, you can change seats.

4. Re: Another train question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:15