We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

Hello.

Can anyone give advice on whether or not it is possible to travel from Rome to Lecce? Ideally, a direct train service would be preferred but not sure if a direct service is available or whether the journey involves many changes? Also, what is the best rail network/service to look for?

My partner and I are visiting Italy in June and neither of us are that familiar with the public transport networks. Our trip starts off in Rome and we are currently trying to decide the best option for travelling from Rome to Lecce - whether this is better by air or rail? Info on both options would be most appreciated. We have also considered driving...?

Many thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,951 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$411.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,814 reviews
from US$123.40*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,602 reviews
from US$57.20*
US$63.60
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

Rome to Lecce direct fast train:

www.trenitalia.com

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

There are direct Frecciargento (= fast) trains from Roma Termini to Lecce, taking about 5 1/2 hrs, cost about €66 if you buy at the last minute (cheaper booking up to 120 days in advance), and also an overnight train taking 08:20. See http://www.virail.com/train-rome-lecce or www.trenitalia.com

I'm sure you can research flights from Rome to Bari/Brindisi yourself, and I already advised you about airport bus from Brindisi to Lecce: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194791-i1657-k734… - from Bari you would take the airport bus to the station (italianairportguide.com/bri/bari-airport-bus…) and train from there to Lecce (1h20, direct).

Turin
Level Contributor
7,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

Qaminari, now there is a train from Bari airport to the railway Station.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

I'm doing the same route in August. I've booked to fly from Rome to Brindisi on Vueling for 60 euro. There are about 3 flights a day.

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

Thanks to everyone who replied with our enquiry. We have just booked our train and it looks great. Getting excited about our trip now!

6. Re: Travelling from Rome to Lecce (Puglia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:17