We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Rome

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Rome

Hello all

I am looking to book a surprise trip for my boyfriend for his birthday to Rome in May. We would want to see all the main tourist attractions and stay close to the centre or within an easy commutable distance.

Is it best to book flights and hotels separately or can anyone recommend a good package provider? I have looked at Ryanair hotels but the ones in my price range seem a bit too far out. Im looking at a £400-£500 budget for 3 nights. Has anyone got recommendations for a good hotel / b&b that is clean, friendly and close to the city?

any recommendations welcome!!

Many thanks

Zoe

TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Rome

Maybe the package tours available from the UK are different, but I've never seen one from the States that has what I would call a "central" hotel unless you pay a significant extra charge. I would book on my own unless you find a package with a hotel in the centro storico.

There is a certain logic to it - a centrally located hotel fills up based on location, so they don't need to attract the package tour business to keep their rooms full.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 14:54
CA
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Rome

We stay at the Hotel Italia, which is near Santa Maria Maggiore, and have excellent dinners at Antica Boheme and Al Boschetto [open Sunday].

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Rome

I am heading there myself next month. I booked an apartment about 5mins walk from Termini station using rental in Rome. I have used them before but not this particular apartment. I have also used HomeAway.co.uk. I usually stay in apartments rather than hotels if you consider this then they are well within your budget.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Rome

Hi, have you looked at British Airways holiday web site. Lots of choice for hotels at various prices depending on location etc, etc within the city. You can even choose your flight time to which is most suited to you and as they have several flights a day to Rome - you get a lot of flexibility. Like us, chose your arrival date - fly in early morning, choose your departure date and fly out late evening :) brilliant .

We have booked our trip to Rome through BA and will be in the city at Easter.

Roll on Rome :)

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Rome

I agree with arryjak i looked at booking easyjet flights and separate hotel accomodation but booked BA flight with hotel ( ive gone for River Palace near piazza popolo) but they had lots of other hotel s I was surprised at the cost as when going abroad we usually book easyjet or ryan air and hotels separately but in this instance it worked out cheaper and better flight times from Gatwick plus includes 23kg case in hold thankgod no stressing re cabin baggage size, I did book this before xmas though so prices may have gone up by now. Were going 8th may for 3 nights cant wait to celebrate husbands 50th and fingers crossed for nice warm weather.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
873 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Rome

We stayed here tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d277161… a couple years ago and enjoyed our stay. They couldn't accomodate us on our trip this year so we are staying here. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d114931…

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Rome

thank you everyone for your advice! thats great. i will check out the BA holidays site as I had never thought of considering them before. Thank you so much :)

8. Re: First time in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:16