We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth to hire a car in Rome? (6 days trip)

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth to hire a car in Rome? (6 days trip)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so I'd like to say hello, and ask a question to more experienced travelers if in your opinion it's worth to hire a car in Rome.

I'm asking because during our car trip to Paris (from the UK) it came up to be completely useless to have a car in French capitol as most of the time we used public transport and only had to pay car park charges (80EUR) to park the car by the Moulin Rouge where we stayed nearby,

Here's what we're dealing with :)

We're going for 6 days trip (23-29/04), landing at Fiumicino and going to stay at Ale & Anrdea B&B ( google maps http://goo.gl/l4zBn1 ) 40 minute walk from Vatican, (on it's West side), main purpose of the trip is to attend canonization of the two Popes on Sun 27/04 on Saint Peter's Square but having 3+ days before and a day after the event we'd like to see Rome's best attraction as well.

The best rate for a hire car I found (on a full to full tank basis) plus additional excess insurance is approx 135GBP (155EUR).

So what's your suggestion, would you hire a car or rather rely on public transportation?

Thanks in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth to hire a car in Rome? (6 days trip)

Rely on public transport. Most of central Rome is prohibited to visitors' cars.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth to hire a car in Rome? (6 days trip)

Don't get a car - use public transport or walk as suggested. The city is going to be packed solid for the canonization.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth to hire a car in Rome? (6 days trip)

Do read up on the rules/laws of driving in cities, etc in Italy; you wouldn't have a permit to drive in Rome for the most part so it would just be an expensive endeavor to pay to keep it parked somewhere.

Much of Rome is very walkable and for those areas that aren't, the buses, metro, tram options will get you where you need to go and is very affordable.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth to hire a car in Rome? (6 days trip)

Hiya, got back home two weeks ago and true to be told, if you plan to visit just the central/ancient Rome it's simply pointless to rely on transport any other than your legs. We walked Rome thoroughly and it was an amazing experience (with my son sitting on my arms three thirds of the time ;] ) So no hire car unless you want to go the coast, Monte Cassino etc. Central Rome is doable relying on yourself's horse-power and a bit of public transportation.

Regards.

5. Re: Is it worth to hire a car in Rome? (6 days trip)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:15