We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few hours in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
A few hours in Rome

We will be passing through Rome via Termini on Monday 19th May and can afford to spend a few hours sightseeing before catching our connecting train, probably around 5 hours... We should arrive at Termini around 11:30 and our connection is at 16:56...

If this was the only time you could spare and had never been to Rome before what would you do with your time? What can we realistically hope to squeeze in?

We plan to leave our bags at Termini left luggage but unsure if we should walk around Rome or take one of the HOHO buses?

We do hope to return to Rome for a proper stay at some point in the future but can't include it this trip unfortunately.

Thanks for any input :)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few hours in Rome

At Termini buy 4 tickets each person for Metro/bus. They cost E1.50 each, are good for one Metro ride and 100 minutes on any bus. Be sure to validate. Take Red line Metro in direction of Battistini. Go three stops to Spagna, and get off. Here you are at the Spanish Steps. From here follow the brown tourist signs to the Trevi Fountain. Then walk past McDonalds to arrive at Visa del Corso. Look to your left to see in the distance Il Vitoriano Cross straight ahead to follow the tourist signs to the Pantheon and then Piazza Navona. retrace your steps briefly back to Corso del Rinascimento and look for a bus stop. You want to get on the #116 direction Terminal Gianicolo. Note, if 100 minutes has not elapsed since you validated your ticket, then use it. If over 100 minutes has elapsed use your second ticket. this bus will pass through Campo de' Fiori, along the River Tiber to The Vatican. Get off and follow the signs to St Peter's. Better check your timing here to see if there is still time to continue or you need to get back to the train station. Bus #40 will take you back to Termini. If still time, get on bus #40 anyway, and get off at Piaza Venezia. Here is Il Vittoriata. from here take bus# 117.This will now take you down past the Colloseum and the Roman Forum. Get off at the Colloseum. Depending on time, there is a Metro station here and you can take the blue line back to Termini (direction Rebibbia). If still time, reboard the #117 to Lago del Tritone, and switch back to #116 (direction Borghese) ride completely around and back (via Veneto is used) so see the fancy area. On your return, get off at metro station Barberini and ride back to Termini (red line 2 stops direction anagnina).

Use this pdf link to download a map of this. http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9

Please don't use any hoponhopoff buses.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few hours in Rome

It really doesn't matter what I or anyone else would see. What do YOU want to see? Give us a list and we can tell you what you can reasonably fit in. We can also tell you the best way to accomplish this. It might be by using public transportation and it might not. You won't know until you give us a list.

donna

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few hours in Rome

Good point Donna, but the OP did ask "If this was the only time YOU could spare and had never been to Rome before what would YOU do with your time? " Caps are mine.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few hours in Rome

I understand that but what I like the OP may not so, to me, it's useless to post what I would do. I've been down that road of offering detailed suggestions on places to see and things to do only to have the OP (not this OP but others) come back and say "well we're not really into XYZ" or " we don't really like ABC" or " we just really wanted to walk around and not go into anything", which is why I don't give specific suggestions anymore without their input.

If you want to give specifics you should but I think the OP should give us more information so we don't waste our time offering suggestions they may have no interest in.

Donna

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few hours in Rome

Hi and many thanks for the replies. I suppose I was rather vague but never having been before, we are not sure of what would be feasible within our timescale. A few of the places we'd like to visit have been mentioned already. Would love to see many many other things too but the following are top of the list I guess :)

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Colosseum

Forum

We will also have to squeeze in a bite to eat (lunch) so any suggestions of little gems tucked away on our route would be fabulous!

Thank you so much for your assistance.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few hours in Rome

You can start at the Colosseum. I would suggest just visiting it from the outside since you have such limited time. From there the forum is just across the walkway. You can either walk through or go to one of the overlooks to view it. Then you can head to the Trevi fountain (about a 15 minute walk) and then on to the Spanish Steps (about 10 minutes). From there another 15 minutes or so will get you to the pantheon and then 5 more to the P. Navona. If you need to drop something from your list due to time issues I would suggest the Spanish Steps. They are not my favorite but you may find you love them.

One added suggestion would be to visit the nearby churches around the pantheon and the P. Navona. They really are lovely and worth the stop if you have the time.

You will be rushed to get in the sites you mention but it may be possible to add a few of the churches.

Donna

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few hours in Rome

Thank you Donna, that's really helpful. I could see all the places on the map but was not really sure where to start. I realise we probably won't be able to go in the Colosseum but then again it will give us a reason to return :)

Do you suggest walking to the Colosseum from Termini Station?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few hours in Rome

It's about a 15 minute walk so you can easily do it. You can also take the metro if you choose. At least if you walk you get a feel for the city. But by taking the metro you might save a little time.

Donna

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few hours in Rome

Be sure to leave sufficient time to retrieve your luggage at Termini-there can be long lines and staffing might be sparse. You don't want to miss your train,

Lindateach

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few hours in Rome

It would take a few minutes longer, but I suggest that you take Via Urbana on your walk from Termini station to the Colosseum. This is one of my favorite streets in Rome. It runs parallel to the boring commercial Via Cavour, and takes you through a real Roman neighborhood in what was the "working class" area (the Subura) of ancient Rome. You'll come to a fork in the road; keep to the left here. When the road ends, turn left, and then right, and you'll be on Via dei Fori Imperiali. The Imperial Forums and Trajan's Market will be to your right. Across the street, you'll be able to see the Roman Forum. About half way up the street, there's a panel that points out the most important buildings. Then, if you turn back on your path, you'll come to the Colosseum.

I agree with Donna about skipping the Spanish Steps if you're short of time. I think most people find them a bit underwhelming. Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona are all near each other, and there are pedestrian signs marking the way. (Not to mention that there will be hordes of other tourists going the same way.)

From the Colosseum to Trevi Fountain, you can take the number 80 in direction Vimercati. The stop is on the Via dei Fori Imperiali side of the Colosseum. You'd get off at Piazza Chigi, about four or five stops, as soon as the bus turns right. Trevi Fountain is about a five-minute walk from there, and there should be signs to it. You could also take the number 85 bus at the same stop, in direction Indipendenza, and get off at Corso-Minghetti (four stops). There are definitely signs here for Trevi Fountain. However, you could get there nearly as quickly walking. There is also a taxi stand at the Colosseum, if you prefer not to deal with buses.

If you want to use the buses, buy a few tickets from a newsstand at Termini station. Travels1940 has explained very well how the bus tickets work.