We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May cruise stop Civitacchia

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
May cruise stop Civitacchia

Our cruise stops at Civitacchia on Thursday, May 22 (7 am-7 pm). We have been to Rome before and have visited most of the sites. This time we would like to spend our time visiting/touring Jewish Rome. I have read many travel books and sites for information about the trains.  Since we must be back to our ship comfortably before sailing time, I need to know if I am being realistic with this plan. Here is what I am thinking:

7:00 Ship Docks

8:00 leave ship

9:30 Arrive Rome

10:30. Arrive Great Synagoge  (Lungotevere Cenci 15 Rome)

11:00-12:30   Organized English tour of Great Synagogue and Spanish Synagogue and audio tour of Jewish Museum

12:30. Reserve spot for 1:15 tour of Jewish Quarter (guided walking tour)

--reserve at the Museum ticket office within half an hour before it starts.     

12:30-1:15.   Eat a quick sandwich in the area

1:15-2:15    Guided tour of Jewish Quqrter

3:30. Train back to ship

5:00. Back at ship

What is the best Rome station to use to for this area? Should we do our return from the same station? Is it reasonable to walk from the station to the area or should we use the Metro and/ or bus system? Do the time allotments seem reasonable? We will make adjustments wherever necessary. The synagogue/museum tours are every hour beginning at 10:00. The walking tour of the Jewish Quarter is at 1:15 (sign up 30 minutes ahead...12:45).

I appreciate any comments/suggestions you can make and any tips you can offer.  We would like our plan to be reasonable.  We want the day to be pleasant...not stressful.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May cruise stop Civitacchia

If you use a regional train you should purchase the BIRG ticket (you can get this at the newsstand inside the Civitavecchia train station, no need to wait on line at the ticket office); this ticket costs 12 Euro and will cover your round trip train fare as well as use of all public buses, metro, and trams in Rome.

I'd get off at the Roma Trastevere station and take the #8 tram that runs in the street in front of the station (Viale Trastevere).

#8 tram info here: viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/…

Get off the tram at the first stop after it crosses the river (Arenula/Min. Giustizia), walk back towards the river and turn left. Walk three short blocks to the synagog.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 03:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May cruise stop Civitacchia

The fast trains between Civitavecchia and Rome stop only at Rome Termini. The slow (Regionale) trains stop at San Pietro, Trastevere, Ostiense, Tuscolana and Termini in Rome.

You would do best to take a Regionale train and get off at Trastevere. Outside the station, take tram 8 towards Piazza Venezia and get off at the first stop after crossing the Tiber.

You can buy a daily BIRG ticket at Civitavecchia, which will cover your journeys to and from Rome on Regionale trains, and also unlimited travel on Metro, buses and trams in central Rome.

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May cruise stop Civitacchia

Thanks for the detailed information. We will plan to do that. Once outside the Trastevere station, will there be a sign for the Tram stop? Will the Tram display a number? How will we know the tram is headed towards Piazza Venezia?

Do you think that we have planned enough time for travel to and from Rome at the times we have proposed?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May cruise stop Civitacchia

When you get out of the station, the tram line will be obvious. As I said the tram route is number 8. You can tell it is headed towards Piazza Venezia because the destination indicator will show Piazza Venezia.

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May cruise stop Civitacchia

Thanks, that is helpful. I have read that the metros are limited and the buses are complicated. I have not found too much information on the trams. Thanks, elstravels, for the link.

I just want to have as much useful information as possible before I settle on a plan for the day and certainly before I get there.

6. Re: May cruise stop Civitacchia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:16