We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my Rome Itinerary with kids

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
my Rome Itinerary with kids

Here is my rome itinerary for travelling with my 4 year old. I know a lot of people have suggested skipping the museums, but she is really excited about going there. We got a book about them and have been planning what we want to see. So beyond that, any advice is appreciated.

Thursday Morning: Reach Rome, go vacation rental, get settled and have lunch in nearby

Thursday Afternoon: Go to Pantheon, trevi fountain, spanish steps and nearby areas. Return after dinner.

Friday Morning: Vatican & Sistine chapel in the morning.

Friday Afternoon: Lunch at Trastevere and walk around there to see some churches

Saturday Morning: Colloseum, Roman forum and Capitaline museum, Bocca della Verita.

Saturday Afternoon: Villa borghese and Borghese park

Sunday Morning: train to Pisa spend a couple of hours there and take the train back. my kids love the train and this will be a good way to get out of walking much that day.

Monday Morning: Hadrian's Villa

Monday Afternoon: Trevi fountain and nearby areas again just walking around.

Tuesday Morning: Leave Rome

what do you think?

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Fountains, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,635 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my Rome Itinerary with kids

You don't seem to have overbooked things and included outside time, which is great. My main concern is the Vatican Museums. They can be packed. I mean, really packed to the point they are exhausting (even claustrophobic as you can end up in crowds like sardines in a tin) for grown ups. I would try to substitute out a smaller, less known museum like Villa Farnesina and save the Vatican Museums for when she is significantly older. But, you know your child best. Just be prepared for horrible crowds in the most popular areas of the Vatican Museums (including those leading to the Sistine Chapel); or plan to go see things in alternate parts of the Museums that are not as crowded. A few weeks ago we went to the Profane (pagan) and Christian Museums, with beautiful ancient Greek and Roman carvings, including magnificent sarcophagi, and the place was practically deserted. It was delightful and we could wander easily at our own pace. You can pick out bible stories on the early Christian sarcophagi and it was interesting to see how the pagan artistic traditions were readily adapted for early Christian art.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: my Rome Itinerary with kids

Thanks for your response. I like the idea of going to the Profane and Christian Museums. I will definitely add that to my itinerary.

We were thinking of only seeing a few things in the Vatican museums mainly the Sistine chapel and a few things she wanted to see like Nero's bathtub and the mummy. I do not expect to see all the rooms. Maybe do a 10 item treasure hunt beginning in the Sistine chapel . I guess we can play it by ear once we are there. I will be happy if I just see the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters Basilica :)

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my Rome Itinerary with kids

We have just returned from Rome with our two upper junior school age children. I agree with the earlier comments about the Vatican museums perhaps being too much. Please don't underestimate the crowds. Inside was heaving when we visited and you can only move from one room/section to another as quickly as the crowds in front will allow you to do so. Seeing St. Peter's & the Sistine in a morning may be a little ambitious if you encountered the crowds we did and we were on a tour which took more than twice as long as it was advertised (due to crowds and we skipped many rooms). Also in the heat the Colloseum and the Forum together may be a lot for a 4 year old personally I would just do the Colloseum, mouth of Truth have lunch, a gelato and hit a park. The other days all sound fine. Enjoy

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: my Rome Itinerary with kids

Thanks I was going to play the forum by ear. But I think your idea may be more practical.

Thanks for the response.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: my Rome Itinerary with kids

I actually think your itinerary is too full when traveling with a 4 year old. It's a ton of walking that would wear out an adult let alone a small child.

As for the Vatican museums, I agree that you might want to skip them this trip. All your child is going to see is the rear end of the people around him/her. The museums really are so packed that you are just moved along with the flow of people. For little kids it can be frightening. This is especially true of the galleries leading up to the chapel, which everyone must go through.

romeandabout.com/2010/04/04/vatican-crowds/

Donna

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: my Rome Itinerary with kids

Thanks Donna for your guidance. I must say it helped a lot when we were in Rome. Only thing I can say is that not all kids are the same. My 4 and a half year old daughter loved the Vatican tours. I gave her a little camera and we got her the audio guide so we went around looking at the paintings and sculptures and talking about it. she loved taking pictures of what she liked. In fact that was her most favorite part of Rome. Also, even though it was a lot of walking, it was mostly air conditioned and we got to sit when we wanted. I am so glad that we did it.

7. Re: my Rome Itinerary with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:15