We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip to Rome, couple of questions

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip to Rome, couple of questions

First, many thanks to knowledgeable posters whose advice I have used to plan our 10 day trip to Italy. I do wish I had checked some things sooner and then I may not have so many questions now. We leave in 2 weeks.

*In the midst of our trip, I have scheduled a train to Rome from Florence and back. Our train actually takes us to and returns to Florence from Roma Ostiense instead of Termini. Do I do wrong? Have no idea how I managed to do this. I already know I screwed us on getting us re-routed on booking to RailEurope by admitting we're from the US. As far as I can tell, it's just the booking fees, though I don't even want to know if our seats would've been 1/2 the price. Our tickets are for Italotreno.

*I am planning on us (3 adults) catching a cab from the station to our hotel: the Relais Vatican View, but it appears that because of the station I've booked us to, the cab must go through a couple of toll road areas in order to get there unless we take a rather circuitous route. What should I expect as far as the taxi ride from this train station as far as cost is concerned? Is it a "flat rate"? Do they add the toll costs to the fare? Are taxis exempt? Weirdly enough when I attempted to calculate the estimated taxi ride cost, none of the programs could find the train station and "Vatican" was not a listed location :D.

*Our Vatican tour using Dark Rome tours begins @ 8:45am and if there timetable is correct, will complete about 1:30 pm (it's the extended tour ~ 4 1/2 hrs) then our train out of Rome is scheduled for 4:10pm. 2 questions about this:

-Did I leave us enough time afterward to get some lunch before heading to train?

-We will just be taking a couple of backpacks with a change of clothes and toiletries and will keep our passports and $$ on us, should we check these at the Vatican bag check? or simply leave them at the hotel bag check (as we will need to check out prior to the tour; our reservation are for the one night and check out time will be prior to tour end). Since it looks like the bag check at the Vatican is at the entrance, and our tour ends us at the "back", it seems to make more since to leave that at the hotel, yes? Or am I mistaken about the "entrance" and "exit" of the Vatican City?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip to Rome, couple of questions

If you mean a ZTL by toll roads, then taxis buses and residents use the ZTL free. They are registered with the computer. The autoroute around Rome is toll free. Just after you leave Rome, you go on toll roads.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 18:55
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip to Rome, couple of questions

Here is a very old posting which may be out of date, but it does explain a few things for you

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k212785…

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip to Rome, couple of questions

If little luggage, take Metro from Pyramide (direction Rebibbia) to Termini, change to red line (direction Battistini) and get off at Ottaviano, and walk to hotel.Total cost E1.50. but tickets in Metro Station, be sure to validate in turnstile.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 19:25
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip to Rome, couple of questions

If you come outside with your bus tickets prebought (E1.50) get on bus #280 (This is where it starts from). The bus goes directly to the Vatican along the Tiber River. Get off the bus and walk to your hotel.

5. Re: Quick trip to Rome, couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 06:15