We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
56 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

I have used Tripadvisor for many of my trips and just love it. I have made some comments on places I have stayed to help fellow travellers. Anyway, I need help deciding where to stay in Rome and whether or not to go to Florence. I will be travelling with my spouse, so no kids this time. We both like museums, gardens, history, ruims. We don't mind taking the train, bus with the locals.

This is our first trip to Europe, and we are going to London, then Paris, then Rome and then back home, a total of 14 days. I know this is a quick trip, but I wanted to get the highlights first, then hopefully on another trip stay longer. We have 5 days in Italy, I was going to stay 2 in Florence and 3 in Rome. I still can't decide on which hotel to stay. I want a location that would be close to as many attractions as possible, clean, around $100-200 per night, with internet included. Any suggestions? I know there are so many sites out there…, and I'm totally lost on deciding.

11. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 11:35
12. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 23:35
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

If you were planning to travel by train from Paris to Rome, now would be the time to book tickets - the prices go up as the departure date approaches. I agree you should fly EasyJet or similar instead. That will probably be Orly (slightly closer to Paris than CDG) to Rome. It will cost less, I'm guessing, than the train (but be sure to read their rules about cabin luggage - only one piece carried on, not two; charge for each bag in the hold - but not very large charge if purchased at the time of the ticket).

Everyone is different in their travel style. My husband and I are in no way the "go just to say we've seen it" type of traveler, nor would we ever spend the time traveling on such a short trip to 4 major destinations - or even 3. Still, we enjoyed Florence *so* much (and just walking through it, while delightful, is not nearly as much fun if you don't see at least one museum - or Michelangelo's David which ended up being so awesome, even after seeing pictures of it so many times - and reproductions). I suggest the Museum of the Duomo as an uncrowded and wonderful museum (with more Michelanglo). You won't have time for the Uffizi, but if you did that one Museum and *maybe* David, then walked around Florence, it would be fun. If you had two days, you'd want to add in the Bargello - and there are many churches and outdoor places to see. But, you could definitely do a one night trip to Florence.

For a long time, we kept planning to see London in just a 2-3 night trip, but as we looked at guidebooks, we realized that spending the time and money to get to a place and then seeing almost nothing of it was not our style. So, we waited a year and did London for 8 days, which was barely enough. Now, we can make 3 day excursions to various parts of England as side trips from Paris and not feel we're missing a lot.

If it were me, and with your planning taking place so close to travel time, I'd probably just do Paris and Rome - you (with maybe a side trip to Florence). You want to have time to sit occasionally and just enjoy being there (at least that's our style) and eating without rushing is also nice.

I agree that your total sightseeing time if you change destinations 3 times in 14 days is about 10 days. 3 days each for two of those great cities, and 4 days for one (for me, the 4 day spot is obvious, it would be Paris, but again, everyone is different).

I would not stay the entire time in Rome, either, but that again is a matter of personal travel style. London is very much like many U.S. cities and didn't give me the "thrill of travel" in the way that continental cities does, and it is easy to get to for a separate trip. A week each in Paris and Rome, though, would allow you time to do a side trip overnight to Florence and that would be much more relaxing.

There's so much to see (each) in Paris and Rome (and the rate at which one can actually see things is not always as swift as one thinks beforehand)...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,944 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

Hotel Piemonte in Rome is fine.

Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

I am/was in the same boat Lidia. I did a similar tour last year for the first time...London-Paris-Berlin in a sort-of blitz tour, and other than the train from London to Paris, ABSOLUTELY fly... There just isn't enough time. So, now I'm back for a second time in less than a year to try and make up for The time I missed last year. This year I am doing London and Rome. Try searching "hotel panda" in Rome on booking.com. I know there's a "quadruple room" that has been popping up in my searches there around the price range you might be looking for. It looks like a nice room with two stories and a loft bed on the top floor, overlooking the main room and it's bed.

It's got good reviews-- and seems to be in a prime area. It's really hard to find anything bargain in good touristy areas for May at this point so I'm just going to hold my booking and cross my fingers that it will be OK! Again as I said, never been to Rome but the TAers here have been giving some good pointers and I feel confident I've made the right choice.

Tip: if you're flying out of ORLY to Rome, WATCH OUT for time. I so regretted rushing to the airport thinking I could make it on minimum time to Berlin. Not even a chance. It was line up after line up, of the likes I've only ever seen on the news. I literally got to the gate as they were boarding. Give yourself THREE HOURS in advance even if you've checked in online, ITS A ZOO. I am up in Canada and I think you might find Paris and Rome a bit of a shock compared to our standard of living over here. I found Paris to feel almost like a developing country, I am bracing for Rome to feel even more-so, but oh boy is it exciting :) London is pretty modern though.

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
56 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

Thanks for all your help. I definately agree and I'm getting the flight from PARIS TO Rome. I was also able to change my hotel arrangements at the same hotel. So now I'm not going to Florence any longer.

All the three cities have a lot to offer, but it seems that Rome is overwheelming with history and archeology which I love.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

Paris, a developing country?! Are you sure you are ready for Rome?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

the best thing is you're based in Rome, you can go to Ostia Antica, or any of the towns within a short train ride.....Assisi, Orvieto, you can get a wide view of Italy by just stepping outside of Rome if you feel the need to :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

I am not sure I am ready for Rome's level of development, but I am going anyway. Levels of development aren't a dealbreaker for me when I travel. I can live with the Rome standard for a few days I'm sure.

The way I would describe my experience in Paris is this: It has lots of technology, it has wealth, a good standard of living and a middle class. It just lacks the modern lifestyle we are used to in North America. Not saying this is bad or good thing - it just, well-- is! For example, dwellings and businesses were almost entirely old structures. Many buildings did not have lifts. Streets weren't paved, traffic was a bit of a mish-mash. Some businesses accepted cash only. The airports were ridiculous.

It has been explained to me that Rome (and Italy in general) is even MORE so on all that...but I can't say, obviously, as this will be my first trip. But I am preparing for a similar quality of life I experienced in Paris. Do you think that is a good approach?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Only a few weeks and trying to find a hotel

It's a very good approach, Mark. It really burns me up when people get mad that Europe (Rome, Paris, wherever) is not exactly like home. You should expect "organized chaos" in Italy. It is OLD, dusty, bustling, cobblestoned, no air-conditioning, NO ICE (OMG) and above all, the most wonderful, fascinating, compelling, awesome place in the world. If you are an open-minded person, up for new adventures, you will LOVE it.