We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for 9 days in italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Budget for 9 days in italy

I'm going to Italy for the first time this May for 10 days and wondering if anyone has any tips for what I should prepare for spending ( both have on hand in euros and as back up in bank account). My Itinerary is:

4 days in Rome

2 days in sorrento

2 days in Capri.

I am going with a tour group and hotels are already covered and includes breakfast daily and 3 dinners. I was thinking have 500-600 euros with me and allow for an additional 500 on a bank card for spending. Any thoughts?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for 9 days in italy

It really depends on how much you WANT to spend. You will need 8 lunches (10-15 E each) and 5 dinners (20-50 E each). Add beverages throughout your days, another 80-100 for the trip. Count on at least 300 for food and drink. Of course, you may be able to eat more cheaply if you stick to pizza or panini, but there's no fun in that! Any souvenirs you buy you could put on your card.

boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for 9 days in italy

Have you ever used the travelex cash passport card?? Was considering getting one, but they seem to have mixed reviews. Any tips appreciated.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for 9 days in italy

No, we use cash and credit cards. It's a good idea to call all your cards and see who has the best international rate. Usually, they will charge you a fee + a percentage. Take the card that has the best deal; and make sure to use a debit card for cash advances! They will rack you with interest, otherwise. We always take some 100s with us; you can exchange them at change places. The exchange rates aren't quite as good as you will get with your card though.

I think it's a good idea to over estimate your budget--you can always bring money home, but it's a fun-time killer when you run out. I went on a tour once with a friend who only brought $300 with her--it was gone in 2 days of a 17 day trip. The rest of the trip was rather stressful for her, trying to budget and find ATMs.

4. Re: Budget for 9 days in italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:16