We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Italy

singapore
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Italy

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Italy in June and is looking at visiting Rome, Cinque Terre and Venice. I am looking at spending 2 weeks for this trip; 4 days Rome, 3 days Cinque Terre and 3 days Venice. Are there any other nice places that I can consider including it in my trip? I have explored Florence, Siena (Tuscany region) and Pisa previously but all suggestions are welcomed!

Also, does anyone has any transport advice on traveling from Rome to Cinque Terre - I might be traveling solo so safety is priority.

Thank you

Sjessh

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,454 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

If that is how you wish to spend your time, it is fine. Adding more will take away from those places, which is up to you. A good guidebook will provide your options if you want other choices.

Take the train from CT to Rome - Not sure what your safety concerns are but the trains are fine and very efficient to use.

www.trenitalia.com for train schedules; click on little UK flag top right of page to change to English, put in name of the village from which you will be leaving the CT, use Roma Termini as Rome station name, put a low number like 6 in the box for the hour to get a full day's train schedule; there are various options, some taking a bit over 3 hours, others over 6 hours - see which combination works for your schedule/budget

singapore
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

Hi MomCat1992,

Thank you for your advice.

2 weeks is just a tentative period that I am looking at, it is open to extension depending on what are the places along the way that I can visit. Places that are popular to locals can be considered :)

Will be getting a Lonely planet soon but thought I can do some research online for the time being.

Thanks

Sjessh

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,946 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

I wouldn't add more site but I would add time to the sites you have already listed. You will enjoy these areas much more if you're not running around from site to site and city to city.

I don't think you need to worry about traveling on the train by yourself. They are all very safe.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,454 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

If you are talking about this coming June, you need to book very very soon for Cinque Terre and Venice, but CT specifically as they are so tiny and there is just not a huge number of places to stay in the first places; second would be Venice and third Rome, only because it is the largest of the three destinations so you should be able to find whatever lodging suits your budget, needs, etc.

I love Bologna - it is not touristy but it is a beautiful Medieval city well worth a visit; your guidebook will reveal why. I fell in love with it and will definitely be returning. Obviously, there are tourists but not nearly as many as you would find, for example, in Florence, Verona, Venice - You might also consider Ferrara, Modean, Parma - smaller than Bologna but close to it -

But, June is high season - so, booking ASAP is important if you don't want to get stuck paying more than you want for something you don't much like. Or, finding places you really do like to be already booked (many already will be)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

If you can extend then I'd say add time to Rome, at least a cuople more days, and I second Momcat's suggestion of Bologna too. It's a lovely town and a major railway junction so it is easy to get to Parma, Modena and Ferrara from there (Ferrara is en route from Venice in fact)

Mississauga, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

Hi Sjessh,

I have almost the same plan as yours. The only difference is that I am going to spend 5 days in Rome. There are just so much to see. If it is not for the 2 weeks vacation days I have, I would most likely spend at least 1 month in Rome. And probably rent a car driving to the outside towns and areas...Sigh...

BTW, when are you going to Italy? I am going in October. Planning my routes to hotels(already booked), train stations, attractions, and restaurants, etc. I haven't buy the train ticket yet as the www.trenitalia.com only show max 6 months ahead of the dates.

Moreover, I am also travelling alone!

Enjoy your trip to Italy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,454 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

You can buy your train tickets 120 days in advance of travel - not six months.

Mississauga, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

Hi MomCat1992,

Thanks for the information.

singapore
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

Hi MomCat1992, dbabe and Lynda,

Thank you for your suggestions, I have just gotten my lonely planet and will be checking out the places as mentioned.

MomCat1992, thank you for your advice to check on the accommodation at CT, I did it last night and most of the places that I want to stay in are already fully booked. Thankfully I have managed to find a fairly good one that I like.

Sonia X, I am looking to travel at the last week of May for a couple weeks, my schedule is pretty flexible now and after some consideration, I will probably be doing 5 days in Rome as well. I am still planning my itinerary and will look to finalize it by end of this week hopefully. Wishing you a great planning and wonderful trip in October!

Cheers,

Sjessh

singapore
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Italy

Hi all,

I have another query on train passes that require some advice; as I am looking at traveling from 1) Rome to Pompeii and Naples, 2) Rome to Venice, 3) Venice to Manarola (return ticket) and possibly to Bologna etc.

Is there a train pass that allows me to travel to all these places at a fix fare or would it be more affordable to book individual train tickets for each of these trip? Should there be a single train pass available to all of these places, please assist to advice on the cost and website link.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Sjessh