We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

Hello All,

I'm going to be flying from Paris to Rome with Alitalia (flight booked through Delta), and I'm trying to understand their baggage policies, however, the website is pretty confusing. If I fly in regular coach class, what would be the weight limit for each passenger's checked bag, and what are the maximum weight and size dimensions for the carry-ons that we bring? Can I bring a 20" roller bag that's typically used for overhead bins in domestic US flights? If so, could I bring that with a hand bag or backpack...or would it have to be either or?

Thanks!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

The weight limit for your one free checked bag is 50 lbs. and can not exceed 62" total (length + width + height).

The carry-on policy is here: delta.com/content/…carry-on.html

I flew Alitalia (booked thru Delta) last fall. My rolling 20" carry-on was fine, together with my personal bag (which is close in size to a medium size backpack). Your personal bag must be able to fit under the seat in front of you.

New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

Thank you so much. Do you know if the airlines permit you to exceed 50lbs, for a fee? If so, do you know how much? Thank you for including the delta policy, does this apply for alitalia?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

The Delta policy applies if the Paris-Rome flight is code-share; otherwise, it is Alitalia's limits that apply - where your only potential problem concerns hand luggage, as your hold baggage will have been checked through to Rome by Delta (for Delta's rules on CHECKED luggage, and excess baggage fees, see http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked.html?icid=Policy_Ck_Baggage_Ongoing).

If this is not a code-share flight, Alitalia's French site has a handy diagram for you: alitalia.com/FR_FR/…hand_baggage.aspx (you can use a conversion site as you only gave one dimension in inches).

Apart from the diagram, the same information can be found on the international site: alitalia.com/en_en/…index.html

A small handbag or backpack not exceeding the size of a briefcase or laptop-carrier is permitted in addition to your "carry-on" bag.

If you have more hand-luggage than is permitted on board in Paris, it may be put in the hold. I don't know what they then do about excess baggage charges (alitalia.com/en_en/…bagaglio_extra)

Edited: 21 April 2014, 21:15
New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

Thank you for the information! One more thing I'm trying to understand is if you're permitted to bring bags greater than 23 kg for a fee. Judging by the website, it seems like you would be able to do so as long as the bag doesn't weigh more than 32 kg and the cost would be 55 Euro. Is this correct?

Thanks again!

austin texas
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

We just into paris from rome on Alitalia a few days ago. One free bag was about 6 lbs over the 50 lb limit. My husband didnt want "his underwear thrown all over the place at the airport" so we paid $70.00 or so extra fee! International legs of our trip (air france) allow 75 lbs for no fee

6. Re: Alitalia - Paris to Rome Baggage Policies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:15