We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hutchinson Island...
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Rome

Hi Everyone,

Wonder if you can offer guidance on this. We will be traveling to Italy for the first two weeks in June and will be heading to Rome for just one night before we fly out on our return early on a Friday morning. We will be driving from Montespertoli (I believe roughly a 3.5 hr drive) early Thursday morning, returning our rental car to FCO and then checking into the Hilton at the airport. They have a shuttle that drops/pickup at Piazza Venezia every 2 hours. Since I don't believe we can actually get into Rome until roughly 2pm; can anyone give me some suggestions of how to spend the day? We have been to Rome before but many years ago. Since this will be the tail end of the trip, I know we won't be rushing to see everything. My thoughts were to enjoy walking around (where?), dinner and then catch the shuttle back to the hotel. Normally I would just stop somewhere maybe in Umbria on our way to FCO, but am very hesitant to do so with luggage and a decent amount of electronics in the rental car trunk. Appreciate any thoughts! Thanks, Heather

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Rome

Since you don't say what you're interested in seeing my general suggestion would be to just walk the city center and find a nice restaurant for dinner. If you wish to give specific of what you want to see we can make further suggestions.

donna

Hutchinson Island...
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Rome

Hi Donna,

Very good point; was pretty late when I posted this! We would be more interested in history, archeology than specifically art. Our first week in Italy will be in Bologna followed by a week in Toscana. Last time I was in Rome was a whirlwind of things. We also love good food and wine...........is there maybe a particular section you could recommend for just walking around? Have never been to trastevere, or maybe a particular Piazza for dinner?

Thanks Heather

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Rome

Looks like this will be another whirlwind trip through Rome. I would stay in the city center near the Piazza Navona and pantheon. It's very lively with lots of sites to look at. You can certainly eat in the P, Navona or near the pantheon but I don't recommend it. The food is subpar and very expensive,. Just stop into any of the little shops along the side streets.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Rome

If you want to see just one archaeological site that you probably didn't see before, I suggest you visit the Baths of Caracalla.

Another possibility, instead of going into central Rome, would be to visit the ancient Roman city of Ostia Antica, which is near the airport. There are buses to Ostia Antica leaving from the airport.

5. Re: One Day in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16