We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

When I've travelled, I usually wait for the off-season to reserve my hotel to take advantage of the lower prices. This trip, we'll be in Italy in December. One quandary: we haven't decided yet whether to spend Christmas and the week before New Years in Italy or in Turkey. No matter where we are, prices will be up during the holidays and New Years.

Should we make hotel reservations now? wait a few months? or get a hotel just before we leave?

Thanks!

Globe

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

We will be travelling in december and we have booked the accomadation already. By using booking.com you can reserve the hotel and not pay until you arrive and they have a cancellation process free of charge until a set time before you arrive. Be carefull though when you are booking as some hotels at the very lasy stage of the booking say that they will debit your account as soon as you make the reservation.

Jann 58

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,405 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

You can also use www.venere.com. They are a very good company with tons of rooms available at any price range. Check the cancellation policy of any hotel you wish to book. Some hotels have very generous policies and some don't.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

If you are going before Christmas, you should have no problem at all making reservations right up to the last minute. The weeks between Christmas and Epiphany (January 6th) are considered high season by most hotels, but the week before Christmas is usually considered low season.

Even in high season, I rarely reserve a hotel room more than about six weeks in advance. However, I don't have strong feelings about reserving particular hotels. I just want a clean, comfortable, conveniently located room at a reasonable price.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,733 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

Isn't it better to book directly with the hotel?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,405 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

Not always. Sometimes you get better deals with a broker, other times you get a better deal directly through the hotel. I use both.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

I almost always book through booking.com . I do check with the hotel to see if I can get a better price, but I prefer booking.com for its easy management of all my bookings. If I need to change or cancel, it's much easier than going to each individual hotel web site.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

Thanks to all for your great ideas & suggestions! I tend to be a book-directly-with-hotel person, but we'll definitely check out Booking.com and Venere.com!

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

#4 and #7: I have been using booking.com for several years for different cities in Europe and the US and booking directly with the hotel may be better, but I found recently that when I wanted to book a hotel in London, the hotel site wanted the total payment up front, while booking.com didn't, so I went with the latter and it worked just fine.

That said, many mainly smaller hotel in cities like Rome and Paris are not listed on 3rd party booking sites, so in that case you would need to contact the hotel directly. When I have booked through booking.com, I always contact the hotel directly closer to arrival just to confirm that everything is in order.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

Nowadays, it's a rare hotel that doesn't use booking sites.

10. Re: December visit - best time to reserve the hotel room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16