We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4 days in Rome too much?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Devonshire, Bermuda
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is 4 days in Rome too much?

Hi,

I'm going to be in Italy for 4 days (we will arrive on a monday and leave on a friday) and I would have loved to have seen both Rome and Venice but I don't want to be too rushed. Does anyone have any advice i.e. is there enough to do and see in Rome for 4 days or would it be good to see somewhere different on the last day if we stay in rome the first 3 days?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

jmf
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

Hi!

I'm going back to Rome for the fourth time next month. There is some much to see that you could spend weeks there, so don't worry about spending an extra day. If you do just want to see the main sights and do a day trip, there are several options.

The one I really like is to Naples and Pompeii. There is an 7:25am train to Naples that only takes 1.5 hours. From there you can take the commuter train to Pompeii (about 30 minutes). After a few hours in Pompeii, return to Naples for some pizza and then go to the Archeology Museum to see all of the antiquities excavated from Pompeii. Walk through the old historic part of town and take the train back in the evening.

You can also go to Orvieto, in Umbria as it is not very far but is a really nice town.

Check out the Rick Steves' Rome book for these and other options - Rick's books are the only ones we use in Europe.

Have fun!

U.K.
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

4 weeks wouldn't bee enough to see everything in Rome

Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

Four days is not too much ... most would say it's not enough, unless you are more of a type-A personality than most folks.

If you really think you can't find enough to do for four days, I would caution that Venice is probably too far to squeeze in for one day. I would recommend something closer (Pompei, Sorento, even Florence possibly).

minnesota
Level Contributor
278 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

Four days is just the begining. If you did one museum, one ancient ruin/building, two churches , two fountains, three meals and one neighborhood stroll each day , you would have only just begun! Enjoy your trip to Rome.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

We did 5 days last year and are having to go back and do some more in a couple of weeks.

There is so much to see there you could spend a month and still not see everything.

It can be tiring though so a day on the beach at Anzio could be in order. Still, living in Bremuda I guess beaches are not high on your list!

Is the Pickled Onion still going in Hamilton?

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

I've been to Rome four times and have never had a day when we haven't done something, and I've still never seen the baths of Caracalla, the Sistine Chapel, Vatican museums, Villa Borghese, etc. There is an incredible amount to do and you need to make time to sit and watch and relax at a piazza too.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

4 days is good for Rome- you can see all the main sights at a leisurely pace and find time for sitting around with a drink too. Ideal, not worth considering going anywhere else.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

I wanted to do what you did and run to venice which I've never seen. My daughter got very ill and I had to cancel and it was a blessing in diguise. we were also supposed to take at least one day trip. having the extra time to explore rome was the greatest thing that's every happened. I was able to do things I would never have been able to do. The big issue is that venice is just so far from rome. I will definitely get to venice and see those other sites out of town, but for now I was happy to stay in one place.

Devonshire, Bermuda
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

Thank you everyone for your advice! It has helped me greatly! The idea of going to Pompei sounds like a great idea! Think I might just do that!

Yes I can definately say we aren't going to Italy for the beaches, Bermuda does have some of the best in the world (not trying to sound too conceited there). And yes - the Pickled Onion in town is still kickin!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
390 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 4 days in Rome too much?

NO WAY---we stayed 6 days and could have easily stayed more---there is so much to see that we rushed through our 6 days and upon our return home said we'd love to go again in order to savor what we saw instead of running from site to site

4 days is not too long by any strech of the imagination--there is no other city like Rome that I have ever seen- We did a Rome, Florence, Orvieto, Venice and London trip---Rome was the highlight

Orvieto is kinda a cool town--it is about 1 hour from Florence and it is just on the border of Tuscany. It sits up on a hill and is a small village not really a city at all and would be a nice contrast to Rome. The views from the city are just like a postcard of the rolling hills with olive groves and cypress trees(breathtaking). They make nice pottery there and it is a very quaint town. You need to drive up the hill and take a vernicular (spell? ) which is like a tram up to the town.