We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

Can someone tell me what areas should be avoided at night which are OUTSIDE of the tourist areas? For example, regions or neighbourhoods of town (i.e. Chicago's south side, Southeast DC, etc)

Please - no typical TA blanket comments like "Rome is like any other big city, just keep your wits about you and don't go anywhere that you wouldn't go in your own city". The reality is, tourists do get out of the main areas sometimes - and we need to know specifics. I believe Rome is generally a safe city, as I have read on here. That doesn't mean there might not be regions of town (i.e. south, west) that tend to have higher poverty and crime and should be avoided. Is there anywhere that public transit doesn't run in the wee hours, or where it might be hard to get a taxi? Street corners outside of the tourist areas where there is prostitution or drug crime that regularly goes on that should be absolutely avoided?

I would like to use buses to get back to my hotel at night, if I find myself in an outlying area. I am staying near Metro Spagna. I realize the metro doesn't run that late. Will there be any places where waiting at a bus stop (potentially for an hour, as buses don't run that often at night) that it may be dangerous to wait too long? Are there any areas taxis will refuse to pick you up if you call/text for one because they fear for their own safety?

Thank you.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

Local here. The only areas one should avoid at night are Tor Bella Monaca and parts of the Trullo district - but these are located far out in the outskirts, so it is extremely unlikely that you'll ever get to see them.

In any case, they're just rather sketchy and are in no way like their North American counterparts.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 17:48
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

"[...] Is there anywhere that public transit doesn't run in the wee hours, or where it might be hard to get a taxi? Street corners outside of the tourist areas where there is prostitution or drug crime that regularly goes on that should be absolutely avoided? [...]

This kind of "activities" only take place in some parts of the outer outskirts - you won't ever come across such things in the historical centre, nor in its surroundings. Believe it or not, most of the city really is safe.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 17:51
Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

OK - the Tor Bella Monaca and the Trullo district - that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks for being so specific.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

The answer to what areas are unsafe truly is "No place 99.99% of tourists would go anyway." Saying you don't want to hear that is like saying "What is two plus two and don't tell me it's four." :-)

Have a great time in Rome. It's amazing.

Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

After searching a bit I've heard criticism of these areas. Would anyone be able to confirm/describe them. I doubt I'd even end up in any - but at least if someone can confirm their reputation for me - I can make sure to avoid them if needed (I'll have Internet on my phone for maps access when I am there)

Testaccio

San Lorenzo

Laurentina 38

San Basilio

Rebibbia

Ostia (only specific sections)

Saxa Rubra

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

Testaccio really isn't dangerous; only the area round the Piramide Metro stop might become a bit sketchy at night (hobos, etc.) but that's pretty much it. The same goes for San Lorenzo - most evenings it's a hotspot of university nightlife and it's rather safe.

Rebibbia's only fault is that the homonymous prison is located there. Otherwise...

Ostia really isn't dangerous at all.

The Laurentino 38 used to be among the worst, but when they demolished part of the council houses the situation has improved. This one, along with the San Basilio and Saxa Rubra districts are totally far from the city centre, beyond the GRA (Rome's beltway) - so it's extremely unlikely that you'll ever see them. Tourists don't have any reason to get in those places and there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to be worried.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 20:14
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

BTW - Corviale hosts the biggest council houses complex (sorry, I don't know how to say it in proper English!) in Western Europe, and its reputation is not exactly among the best. But again - not even I, as a local, am likely to get there during my everyday travels across the city...

Edited: 22 April 2014, 20:18
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

I just wanted to say that Testaccio is safe - only the surroundings of that Metro stop might vaguely resemble a somewhat gritty part of town at night.

Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

Thanks for the advice.

Wow, I just had a look at some Google Street Maps shots of random streets in Testaccio. A bit stunned to be honest. It looks like Mexico...graffiti on the walls, rough streets, poor sidewalks, boarded up shops, overgrown foliage, overflowing bins...

Maybe it looks worse in the daytime :) but yeah, a bit shocked guys. Is this a typical Italian neighbourhood?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas to avoid at night - outside the tourist areas

It's not typical of most of the center of the center and other neighborhoods but don't be surprised to see graffiti in most areas of Rome (my avatar is a door right near the Pantheon and I have many more (it is a project) - doesn't mean it is a run down area.

Keep in mind that Italy is economically depressed but what you are going to experience is mostly the area where the tourist sites are, where tourists stay and some areas where many Romans are paying handsomely for rentals or ownership. But, I don't think you will running across much of that where you are likely to visit.

It is always one of my choices when traveling to get out of the main part of a city that is touristy and get into a bit of the areas away from the tourist visited areas - I can't think of anywhere that doesn't have areas that aren't doing well - Every single city I've been to has such neighborhoods - Toronto doesn't?

If you read some news about Italy, you will get a good feel for what is happening there - what is going behind what the tourists see on the surface. This site is a decent source of news in English about all sorts of news in Italy and Rome: www.ansa.it/english/index.html?refresh_ce

I always appreciate a destination a lot more when I have a fuller understanding of the realities (as much as possible as a visitor can have) than just the fun stuff…I've met some people who were disappointed in Rome because they expected more of a Disney type atmosphere - spotless streets, no garbage, no unseemly anything.