We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveller In Italy

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
252 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Traveller In Italy

I am travelling solo to Italy near the end of May. Any tips for solo travel in Italy? Thanks in advance.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,909 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

Tips about what? You need to be more specific on the types of tips and where you plan to visit.

Donna

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
252 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

Ill be in Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, Genoa. Any general tips that may help a solo first time visitor.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

Wow, that's a lot of locations. Is this a two or three week trip?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

There aren't a lot of things that I do differently when traveling alone vs. with others. If you are used to bringing a lot of luggage you might want to re-think that, so you can easily move yourself and your things. Being overburdened with luggage makes you vulnerable.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
252 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

Thanks for the advice , I will be in Italy for three weeks.

Italy
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

In spite of you being an oiler fan

1) Tell your bank you'll be away. Give them the dates. Also check how much they charge per ATM access. Remember use only ATM withdrawals and not credit card advances.

2) It'll be warmer then Edmonton. More like July in Alberta. Pack for warm weather.

3) Do you have an unlocked GSM smartphone? (quad band would be best) Plan on getting an Italian SIM when you land and a pay as you go data offer. You should be able to get voice,SMS and data for a total of about €15 . That'll include the cost of the SIM and the service.

4) Spend some time looking at Google Street view . It'll help you not get lost if you review the stroll from the train station to your hotel or other things.

5) Make a plan of the things you intend to do or see in advance. Check if you need tickets. Closing hours/days.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
252 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

Thanks for the great advice nzentena. Oilers will rise to the top again lol Cheers

Reno, Nv
Level Contributor
128 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

Great advice above! Join Couchsurfing.com and set up some coffee, lunch, or wine meetings. I do that when I travel alone. You can get a locals point of view, tips for sites, and meet a new friend. I play tennis and will use it to try to find local courts and players. Helps me to be more of a traveller than a tourist. And, often, they like being able to speak English or, spend time with a fellow American, if that is the case.

I am enjoying the last few days of a three week trip through Italy. Be aware of train strikes and don't travel on those days if possible. They are fairly frequent, but are announced a few days ahead of time. Travel is a nightmare on those days! I know from experience!

Hope you have a fabulous time!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
252 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

Thanks for the great advice.

10. Re: Solo Traveller In Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16