We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Fiumicino can I catch the train to Tiburtina?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where in Fiumicino can I catch the train to Tiburtina?

I've taken the shuttle train from Stazione Termini to Fiumicino many times, but never this train. Would I catch it on the same tracks? And, where might I buy a ticket for this train? Finally, will the weekly transportation ticket work for this? Thanks, all!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Fiumicino can I catch the train to Tiburtina?

Just look at the departure board for the track number (I think it's opposite the Leonardo Express platform - may be a double-decker train), and you buy the ticket at the station ticket office, which sells all trenitalia tickets (at least to Rome), not just Leonardo Express.

No you can't do this using the CIS 7-day pass: it explicitly excludes transport to/from the airport, and covers only public transport within the city limit: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=1642

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Fiumicino can I catch the train to Tiburtina?

The one-way fare for the Trenitalia airport train between FCO and Trastevere/Ostiense/Tiburtina stations is a flat 8 Euros. The passes are NOT accepted for this train taken to or from FCO Airport. Once at Tiburtina Station, you can connect to another Trenitalia (or ITALO TRENO) train to your final destination. You save 6 Euros by taking this airport train instead of the "other" airport train (the LdaV) to Roma Termini Station.

Nevertheless, if you really prefer to go to Termini Station (rather than Tiburtina), you COULD take one of the airport BUSES there for only 6 Euros (they take one hour, and can get stuck in street traffic, making them somewhat less attractive if needing to connect to an outbound train at Termini, but fine if your final destination is the Termini area of Rome).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Fiumicino can I catch the train to Tiburtina?

There are only two trains from the airport. One is the Leonardo da Vinci to Termini station, and the other is the FL1 (formerly FM1, FR1.... soon they'll run out of consonants). The FL1 usually, but not always, has the final destination of Fara Sabina. It doesn't matter what the final destination is; all of these trains stop at all the stations in Rome, including Tiburtina, As long as you don't take the Leonardo Express, you'll be on the right train. The tracks are side by side. There's a ticket window where you can get your tickets, or you can use the ticket machines.

Make sure you stamp your ticket before boarding the train. They've put big signs in several languages all over the place advising people to stamp their tickets. The last time I was there, they even had railroad employees standing at the head of the track, asking people if they'd stamped their tickets. Not stamping your ticket brings a large fine, something like 50 euros if you pay it in cash on the spot, or more if you don't.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 19:11
4. Re: Where in Fiumicino can I catch the train to Tiburtina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16