We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

Is the only way to avoid this online reservation fee by purchasing the tickets at site?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,627 reviews
from US$74.16*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,009 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$401.17*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,434 reviews
from US$146.61*
US$162.90
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

Yes. It is worth the 4E to avoid the line.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

mv.vatican.va is the official site, if you book elsewhere you'll pay more. The line can be horrendous, depending on what time of the year and what time of the day you go.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 11:39
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,629 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

For me the 4 euros is worth avoiding a line that is usually 2 hours long and can be up to 4 hours long depending on the day and time of year.

Donna

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

Thanks! I wanted to confirm if it was worth the extra euros! Another question, is the line to get into the Vatican City different from getting into the museums?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

Not exactly sure what you mean. There is a different security line to get into St Peter's, which starts in the colonnade. I don't think you can actually go into "Vatican City", only the church and the museums. Correct me if I'm wrong, experts!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,629 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

There is no line to get into Vatican City. You probably won't even realize you've crossed the border. If you go online and look for "maps of Vatican city" you'll find some really good ones. The one I like is by Mapquest. It shows the colonnade and the entrance to the museums.

Donna

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

thanks for the info. It's my first time in Rome, and so a bit on the ignorant side.

When reserving for the tickets in the Vatican website, will the afternoon have less of a bid crowd? I'm seeing so many reviews how crowded the area is.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

Pick whichever time works well with your schedule; they are always crowded so pick the best time for you.

Your guidebook should have a lot of this kind of information - my Rome and Italy guidebooks have a lot of information about Vatican city, the museums, the basilica, etc. Read up on that section in your book to get a better feel for what it is like and what is involved.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

The least crowded time is during the Friday night opening. If that fits your schedule, I would recommend that. Less crowded and cooler, as well.

10. Re: Buying Vatican Museums tickets online, reservation fee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:15