We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii and Vesuvias visits

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii and Vesuvias visits

My husband I are flying into Rome at end of May and after spending one night there want to travel down to Naples or surrounds in order to visit Pompeii and Vesuvius etc. In total we'll spend just over a week in Italy. Any recommendations for reasonably priced accommodation please?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii and Vesuvias visits

Sorrento is a good place in the Bay of Naples to base yourself. It is a great transprot hub. It is squeeky clean and beaiutiful. it is my favorite palcde to stay in the Bay of Naples

Naples is another possibility. Lodging is cheaper there than in Sorrento. if you plan to visit a lot of Naples sites, that might be a good possibility for you. Naples is kind of on the "gritty" side.

It all depends on your budget and exactly what kind of vacation you want.

The end of May is pretty much tourist season in the Bay of Naples and it will b e crowded. Not a lot of bargains at this time of year. A lot depends on what exactlyu you mean by "reasonably priced". I have only been to the Bay of Naples once in May. I mostly visit in the off-season to experience "reaonably-priced".

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii and Vesuvias visits

Thanks so much - here in Ireland the tourist season only kicks off in June/July so glad to know what we're heading into! Still, Italy is always worth a visit and while I agree with you I would prefer out of season, we don't have a choice on this one. Regards. Valery

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii and Vesuvias visits

www.venere.com and www.booking.com are 2 sites where you can look for lodging by location, price and amenities - read the reviews!! The reviews on those 2 sites are by people that have completed a stay. The star system is different, i.e. a star for 24 hour reception.

www.pompeiisites.org

Naples has a love/hate relationship with tourists, I much prefer Naples over Sorrento. Naples, among many other sites, has the Archaeology Museum which houses many artifacts from the area.

Look in the Naples Forum, to the right for Top Questions where a variety of information is provided.

I visited Mt. Vesuvius from Herculaneum, there's a r/t mini-van service at the train station (20 Euro)

Edited: 30 April 2014, 11:05
4. Re: Pompeii and Vesuvias visits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16