We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Good morning,

I'm sure this is an asked and answered question so my apologies but trying to find it in a sea of forum posts is difficult. In any case we have a one day cruise stop in Rome. We will take a pre-reserved train from the cruise port to Rome. We want to see the Vatican museums and sistine chapel and the colosseum. I've read that it's imperative to buy advance tickets to skip the line. Go Italy is a site that came up with tickets. Should I buy them there or just directly at the vatican website etc.? Is there any advantage one way over another? Any advice on how much time to give in between the two? Thanks so much!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,576 Reviews
from US$74.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from US$395.80*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,879 Reviews
from US$58.80*
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

You won't be taking a pre-reserved train from Civitavecchia to Rome as these are Regionale trains, and are not reservable!

Also, this question concerning advance tickets for the Colosseum is currently only 2 below yours in the whole Italy forum, so not exactly lost "in a sea of forum posts": tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k62446… - and there is a "sticky" which is the very first post in the Rome Forum, tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k72049… (not only about the underground tour).

The official Vatican website is http://mv.vatican.va/ - you can compare for yourself with Go Italy site, but I would always go with the official site where possible.

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Thank you. We have a reservation through the cruise line for a "private air conditioned train" from the cruise port. This is our first trip to Italy and I have no idea what that means.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

There actually is a private company that runs trains from Civitavecchia to Rome. They stop at San Pietro station. The cost should be 16.50 each so if they cruise line is charging much more cancel with them and book directly.

www.smartcruisetours.com

As for the colosseum and Vatican museums, you probably won't have time to do both. It will take at least an hour to go through the museums if you don't spend any time looking at the exhibits. If you stop to look it could take you all day. It's a half hour brisk walk to get from the entry of the museums to the Sistine Chapel.

If you find you have the time just take a taxi to the colosseum and then another taxi back to the San Peitro station to catch the train back to the port.

donna

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Donna, that is great information thank you so much! OK we will choose one. Maybe see the colosseum from the outside and do the vatican museums and sistine chapel? Thoughts? Yes the cruise line is charging us way more than that for the train! I will cancel and book through the company you referenced. Thank you! Got any good cafe lunch spots that are your faves?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Nothing I can recommend as I tend to eat at different spots every time I go. Just remember to go a few blocks from any of the sites before you start looking for restaurants. The ones closest to the sites will be over priced and have mediocre food.

Donna

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Donna,

I think we have struck out with smart tours. Their fast train isn't running and they tell me that the other one is quite far from the terminal. Apparently there is some construction making it difficult to get to the train? Do you have any other recommendations to get from the cruise port to Rome quickly and cheaply without too much headache? I really don't want to opt in for the expensive train through RCCI. Thanks so much!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Just take the regional train from the port. There are shuttles that run from the ships to the train station so I wouldn't book an expensive transfer with a private company. You can buy your train tickets at the station once you get to the port. Depending on the train it will cost about 10-15 euros.

Donna

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

Fantastic thanks so much! A LOT cheaper than other options. Any idea how long it takes to get to St Pietro station? I think that's what it's called and nearest to the Vatican?

9. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 22:46
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go Italy skip the line tickets to Colosseum and Vatican

I believe it takes between 45 minutes and an hour. You can find the schedule online at the trenitalia site.

Donna