We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel logistics before a cruise

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
hotel logistics before a cruise

Hello,

My husband and I are taking a rt cruise out of Rome.

We are flying into Venice early for two days, taking the train to Rome to meet up at the port. We have been to Rome before so not looking to sightsee this time. My question is: it's there a place closer to the port than Rome itself to stay that one night before the cruise? Where we could go out have dinner etc.? If so where? Otherwise our other option is to stay in Rome one night go out for dinner etc and hop the train to the port and meet the ship. I didn't want to chance it by taking the train all the way from Venice to the port in case of delay. Thanks for the feedback!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

You could stay in Civitavecchia, I suppose. Cruises usually leave the port at 5 PM; if you arrived in Rome the day before your cruise, you could enjoy yourself that evening, and even the morning in Rome before going to the port. You could go by train or private car, or arrange transport with the cruise line.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

Yea I'd really like to stay in Rome that night get a good dinner check out some of the piazza...it's been 4 years since we've been. I just didn't know if civitavecchia had stuff to do and a decent hotel to stay at.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

I would much rather stay in Rome for the night.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

I'm with you, I'd love to go to dinner and sit in piazza navona with some wine and peyote watch. Just thought civitavecchia would have maybe been easier.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

I think either would be nice. It looks like Civitavecchia might have some nice seaside hotels and restaurants. It certainly would be less stressful getting to your ship. I've only ever seen the port, so I don't know of any special places to stay or eat, sorry. But you do have plenty of time, if you want to stay in Rome.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g194743-Civitavecchi…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

You're still going to have the trip to Civitavecchia with all the luggage. There's no way of getting around it. If you go to a hotel in Civitavecchia the day before, you'll have to get another taxi the next day to get the luggage to the ship. I don't see how it's any easier.

I didn't see anything worth seeing in Civitavecchia. They may have some good restaurants, but there are surely even more in Rome. There's a sanctuary in Civitavecchia with a weeping Madonna, or something of the sort, if you like that sort of thing.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

Thanks I appreciate the info. I guess we just have to figure it out. Yes I know we will still have to get a shuttle or taxi to the actual ship but from what I gathered many of the hotels actually offer it. I'll have to do some research this weekend into this and a hotel in Venice. Thanks I appreciate the help!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

Make sure to find out whether the shuttle is free or not. A lot of hotels near the airport have shuttles, but they're rarely free. Also, sometimes the driver performs other duties at the hotel, and isn't available when you need him. I've never stayed in Civitavecchia, so I don't know if things work differently there. Also, I have stayed in one hotel near the airport that had a good, reliable, shuttle service (not free, though).

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

No need to stay by the airport, we are taking the train into Rome. If we stay in Rome I have a few area in mind. I liked the hotel we stayed in last time by the trevi fountain, maybe by piazza navona this time. But if we stay near the port I'll look at if the shuttle is free or not

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel logistics before a cruise

I only mentioned the airport to indicate that the shuttles might not be free.