We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

!I love Italy and have spent much time there in my life. I just returned. This time. though, due to the low value of the dollar I felt that the value for my money was not all that great. I had a great time and could afford the trip well enough, but I did not like having to watch for all of the added tourist fees, service charges, over charges, padded charges and just plain over inflated prices, etc.

Granted, I was in Rome, Venice and Florence so I realize that the are very high tourist areas. I have visited the areas in the past, but this time I felt more "nickeled and dimed" more than ever before.

With the dollar being so weak against the Euro, I think my money is going to the good ole USA for a while.

What do others feel about the topic?

Note: Again, the post is not related to "affordability" as much as "value". I feel that the value of my money spent is not as good quality as it should be.

Thanks for your thoughts on this important topic.

Ciao!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

Well, what should Europeans do? They can't help it that the dollar is weak. All the hotels and restaurants have to pay their bills in euros.

Prices haven't gone up much in Italy in the past several years.

The advantage of the weak dollar (for Americans) is that American products now have an edge on the international market. And lots of European tourists are finding the US to be an affordable destination.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

The weak dollar/strong euro definitely makes travel more expensive, but I don't think it's fair at all for Americans to complain about tourist taxes at hotels or coperto charges at restaurants. DC's hotel tax is 14.5%, not disclosed in the booking rate, 5.75% sales tax on all purchases, food, and services (not included in list price) and an expectation of a substantial gratuity when we dine out. Is that nickel and diming?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

I do agree that the value is much harder to find with the USA dollar being so low, which creates a challenge for anyone planing a trip to any Euro Zone country. If you travel to any large city in the USA you will get plenty of add on cost. My solution is plan travel to smaller cities, use 3 star hotels, and local cafe/restaurants. I hope to splurge on some things, book a couple of 5 star hotels, buy Opera tickets, a special restaurant once or twice, so I can still create that great memory of three weeks in Italy. I know I will not be bringing bags of Italian goods home, but I really think you can enjoy your travels with some early planning and creative thinking. Try to travel/eat like a local and stay out of the heavy tourist centers. Then enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

Well, us poor old Canadians would never travel anywhere then! Our dollar has taken a dive we were at par with the US for a while - now it cost me $1.10 to purchase $1.00 US. The Euro? It costs me $1.55.

When we travel to the US it's the tipping that kills me. At least in Europe I don't worry about that the price you see is the price you pay.

Sitting in a piazza enjoying an aperitivo or espresso - worth every penny! Enjoying la dolce vita - priceless

Conroe, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

Interesting topic. We are leaving in a week, and it will be our first trip to Italy. After much research, I know what to expect. I think it will be a challenge to stay on budget. We were in London a few years ago, and I must say it was a pricey city. However it was worth every penny! I think Italy will be too and as docsla said with some creative thinking it will be do-able! Once in a lifetime for us, so we are prepared to go over-budget if necessary. I can say that we certainly went over-budget in New York! Talk about it!!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

good point!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

I have thought along some of these lines for a future trip. Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

I am sure you will have a great time. I think you have the right attitude. My only point was that after being in Europe a few times, I may want to stay in the US for my next couple of trips and take advantage of some sights here that I have missed. I also like the idea of keeping some of my money in the US.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

I don't see it as complaining to decide to stay within your own county and see sights here. Just alone, the flight would be considerably shorter and less expensive. I would shorten the trip by two days since I wouldn't be traveling on a airplane as long.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The high cost of the low dollar in Europe

I love Canada!