We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Italy - Need more help

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
289 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Italy - Need more help

I was not sure I could make this trip due to work responsibilities. Therefore, I was stalling making my reservations and a final plan.

As it is now we are:

-Arriving in Rome at the very end of June on a late Saturday night flight and departing from Rome 8 days after.

-Staying in Rome on Sunday for the Peter Square Mass

Then it gets cloudy…should we go to Tuscany area for 4 days Sienna or Florence as a base and do day trips to other places you recommend?

We want to Rome on Friday and possibly do a day trip to Orvieto or do you have other recommendations?

We have been to Rome and done the major attractions but would like spend one day or two there.

Thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Italy - Need more help

Only you can decide where you should go. If you wish to visit Tuscany then you should spend all of your time there with the last day being in Rome. Grab a guide book to help you determine which cities you want to visit. There are lots of them and they all have different things to offer.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Italy - Need more help

There are not masses in St. Peter's Square except for special holidays. Most Sundays, the Pope comes to a balcony above the square to recite the Angelus prayer and greet the crowd, but this is not a mass.

I think there may be a papal mass in St. Peter's Square for Pentecost, but that's June 8th this year. The Pope's June schedule hasn't been published yet, but you can keep watching this site:

vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/calendar/pa…

(In the Easter Season, which goes through the end of May, the Regina Caeli prayer substitutes for the Angelus.)

If you want to go to the square for the Angelus, try to get there early. You don't need any tickets, but the crowds have been tremendous ever since Pope Francis was elected. If you want to attend a papal mass, you need to get tickets. I used to recommend getting them from vatican.va/various/prefettura/index_en.html but lately the site has been overwhelmed, and not everyone gets a response.

3. Re: 8 days in Italy - Need more help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:15