We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Giovanni area

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Giovanni area

Hello all,

I plan to rent an apartment in San Giovanni area. Can you tell me if this area is centrally located and within walking distance to the major sites. Is it safe?

Thank you very much,

Maria

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Giovanni area

It's a safe area and is close to the colosseum and forum areas. You'll not be in the city center but this is a nice area to stay.

donna

rome
Level Contributor
38 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Giovanni area

hi,

San Giovanni area is nice no worries! you've got Subway, flea market(via sannio) San Giovanni in LAterano just in a walking ditance while to reach main major sites u need a short ride by subway or bus/tram!

if u find cheap rent u might even look close to RE DI ROMA metro station.. is just one stop further than San Giovanni ..as safe as that!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Giovanni area

It's very safe. My wife and I stayed in that area for 8 days this past December and felt very comfortable walking around, even late at night. As dbabe mentions, it is very close to the Colosseum, as well as a couple of Metro Stations - we were about equidistant between the Colosseo Station on the B line and the Manzoni station on the A line, and used both stations frequently. It is a very walkable area with many shops and restaurants.

-JimG

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Giovanni area

It's safe, but unless you want to spend more than 20 min walking to sites, you need to take public transport which is good in that area. I have styed in the nearby Celio area that is closer to the colosseum than San Giovanini.

San giovanni itself is the green stat in gthe .lower right on this map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Zoom out and you will see the Pantheon (violet donut) and Piazza Navona (green horseman). You can see the metro stop on the map whihc is on Metro A. You can connect to Termini, Trevi Foutain area (Barberini), Spanish step (Spagna), Piazza del Popolo, and Vatican Musesum (Ottaviano) usintg this subway line. Metro A is the orange line on this maqp

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Bus 81 goes from San Giovanni to Piazza Venezia,

and Piazza Navona and the Pantheon

The area that is the mostly centrally located where you can the walk to the greateest number of sites is the area defined by Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Campo Fiori.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 17:20
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Giovanni area

Thank you all for a quick reply. This is great information. I may do a bit more research for

Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Campo Fiori accommodation for our trip in early October.

Maria

singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Giovanni area

Hi,

I will need to hang around this area before I can check into my hotel and I have about 3hours to kill. I will be visiting Basilica di San Giovanni but that will possibly take 1-1.5hour. Is there anything interesting that I can check out in this area without walking to far off? Will the flea market be open on a Sunday/Monday, from what time to what time?

Thank you

Sjessh

7. Re: San Giovanni area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16