We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rome

We're novice travellers. We need recommendations for hotels near the city centre as we would like to do all the tourist things - Vatican museum, coliseum, trevi fountain etc. Would anybody also be able to advise the best way to get tickets for these attractions? Any advice to help us enjoy our first family trip abroad for many years - sooo excited.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome

Since hotels vary greatly in price in the city center, then it's best for you to have a look at websites such as: www.expedia.com, www.hotels.com,www.venere.com for hotel pricing and availability.

The hotels will be divided according to location. Rome is very walkable and has excellent Metro and bus transport so if you book city center then you will close to all the sightseeing.

For all the attractions mentioned then ticket purchase can be made online by visiting the website for each one. Simply, Google the attraction then use the link for booking. If at all possible then book the "skip the line" tickets so you are not waiting in lines all day.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,364 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome

Yours is a very broad question. It would help you in enjoying your travels if you get your hands on a few good guides to Rome (library) and read up on the city. Great way to find which area would interest you. On the right side of this page, you will find loads of interesting ideas on trips. Good way to start. A budget in Euros will aid posters in recommending hotels once you determine which area attracts you most.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
77 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome

Since you are traveling with family, have you thought about renting an apartment? My husband and I rented one for our eight day stay in Rome in 2012 and loved living among the Romans. We had a bedroom, dining/living room, kitchenette and bathroom. We were two blocks from Piazza Navona and in the midst of everything. We walked everywhere. We used VRBO to find our apartment.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome

Thank you, I will get onto it today. Housework will have to wait!! Lol

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome

I am hearing how expensive its going to be to eat and drink in Rome. Any tips for me? Places to avoid? etc Ive heard that it costs more to eat outside than inside. Is this true? Also, I have been looking at the guided, skip the line, tours of the Vatican Museum and the Colosseum. They both seem to be working out at £50 pp which, having 2 children, makes a very expensive £200 per tour. Am I looking in the wrong places. I WOULD much rather pay extra to skip the line but I would hate to hear people say ' How much? we only paid half that!!' etc

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,326 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome

Do not book tours of the sites with booking companies. Book directly with the sites. A tour of the Vatican museums is 30 euros per adult and the children get reduced and free entry. For the colosseum both kids will be free and, depending on the tour you take the kids will pay either 5 or 9 euros. The adults tour will either be 19 or 22 euros depending on the tour.

You can find the colosseum booking instructions at the top of the Rome forum main page. For the Vatican museums use:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Both tours and tickets at these sites allow you to bypass the lines. You can buy the entry tickets that allow you to skip the line if you don't want to book the tour.

Donna

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome

Thank you so much. I had been looking at tour companies and it was going to cost us £400 for the Vatican museum and the colosseum! Ouch!!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,326 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome

Yeah, it's always best to book direct. If your kids are very young I would avoid the Vatican museums are they are insanely packed with people and the kids wont see anything other than rear ends because of all the people.

Donna

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome

We're out of luck! It appears the days we will be in Rome, the Vatican tours are booked up! Darn!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,326 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome

When are you going? I just checked the official site and they have availability every day for the next two months (except Sundays).

Donna

Edited: 09 May 2014, 20:33