We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Hi I booked myself 3 nights in Assisi which I was thinking of doing a day trip out. Florence or Venice any recommendation? In terms of easy navigation around in a day. I'm not very particular of what I want to see, just concern of easy accessibility by public transport to move around. Pls advise.thanks

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Venice is much too far away for a day trip from Assisi. Florence is doable but would be rushed. Why not see one of the many fantastic smaller towns of Umbria in the nearer surroundings?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Hi Thanks for the advice for the smaller towns ard umbria can i go there by train? As I don't drive. Any interesting town to suggest?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

I would hop on the train and go see Spoleto...we love Spoleto. Or you could head north to Perugia, but I prefer Spoleto.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Orvieto is a really beautiful hilltop town We preferred it to Spoleto

Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Perugia is nearby. Good for food, culture, shopping or simply sitting on a terrace. Check connections by rail on http://www.italiarail.com/italy-rail-map

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

If you would really like to go to Florence for a day, then I don't see why you shouldn't. Recently we did it the other way round - Florence to Assisi for a day by train. Yes it was rushed, but it was worth it and we were glad we went.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

This map http://www.italiarail.com/italy-rail-map does NOT show all railway lines. Check out www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps_italy.php

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Neither one of those maps shows Assisi, which is between Perugia and Foligno. I don't think a map is what's needed here, anyway.

Spello is a very beautiful little town, in my opinion one of the prettiest in Italy, very near Assisi. It can be reached either by train or bus. There are other little towns you can visit from Assisi by bus, often requiring a change of bus in Perugia.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Hi all thanks for your helpful advice. I decided to go to perugia as it seems more into what I'm looking for. However as this is pretty last min decision to go perugia may I ask more info abt perugia? From assisi I can take a train to perugia station and from there I must take a bus to the town is it? All buses go town? From there in town I can just wander ard for 4-5 hrs after that take the same bus back to train station? Sorry for asking in details as I can't speak Italian in case Nobody to ask for help in English. Pls advise thanks.

Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip out from Assisi to Florence or Venice?

Not sure how you get to the centre from Station. Some tips: it's worth while to go down/up the pedestrian route under rocca paolina. It is at the end of the main street in Perugia. There is a very reasonably priced touristy/local restaurant behind the townhall : Ristorante Pizzeria Taverna La Gabbia . Nothing special, but good average Italian cooking for reasonable price.

Please do visit the townhall. The frescoes are worth seeing.