We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Recomendations in Rome? Or Apartment Rental Sites?

North Bethesda...
Level Contributor
24 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels Recomendations in Rome? Or Apartment Rental Sites?

I am headed to Italy for work in early July. My husband will be traveling with me (either before or after my work event). We were hoping to spend a few days in Rome. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations? Or advice on where to stay or where to avoid in the city?

We will probably want to spend a day in Vatican City and at least one more hitting the highlights (Forum, Colosseum, Fountains, Pantheon, etc).

We are also open to staying in an apartment. Does anyone have any site recommendations? In the US we have used airbnb.com.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated! Thank you!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels Recomendations in Rome? Or Apartment Rental Sites?

For first time visitors to Rome, I recommend staying within the historic center (Pantheon, Spanish Steps/Trevi, Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori, Monti/Colosseo, close in parts of Trastevere, etc.). There are many sights concentrated in the historic center, as well as many restaurants, bars, etc. The area around the train station (Termini) is also convenient, although I don't find it as charming as the other areas, but Rome in general is quite safe. Where you choose to stay will depend on your budget and specific interests since the different areas have different "personalities." I'd look into booking now -- summer is high season and July is coming up soon. One tip: always check on the specific address of a hotel or apartment and see it on a map. For example, some parts of Trastevere are much further out than others so you would really want to check the specific location.

There are plenty of sites for apartments: Tripadvisor/Flipkey; vrbo.com; venere.com, just to name a few. And, if you do some searches on this TA forum for hotels and apartments, you'll hit many threads as to hotels or apartments that other people have liked (or not liked).

One thing that may help people respond to you is to let them know what your budget is, since there are apartments and hotels in a wide range of prices.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

2. Re: Hotels Recomendations in Rome? Or Apartment Rental Sites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 07:16