We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card use in Italy

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Sim card use in Italy

If I buy a sim card for cell phone and data use in Rome, can the same sim card be used in Florence or Venice? If so, is it considered long distance or roaming? In US, a sim card bought in San Francisco can be used and treated as local in New York. In Canada, when the sim card bought in Vancouver used in Toronto, it is treated as long distant calling and roaming for data. Please kindly advise how it works in Italy.

Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim card use in Italy

I am in Italy currently and have purchased a TIM sim card which allows me to ring anywhere in Italy and also in Australia (they can do one that is for your country). I paid 30E for it and it gives me 200 minutes of call time to either Italy or Australia and has 5E of text messages. It is not Rome specific. Make sure you have a phone that is unlocked from your home network so you can use the Italian sim. Hope that helps!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim card use in Italy

Thanks, Sherri.

Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim card use in Italy

Hi Sherri, may I ask if you can also surf internet with this TIM sim card? Is it called TIM welcome?

Edited: 10 May 2014, 12:44
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim card use in Italy

From the description, I'm sure the plan is TIM Welcome. It's an excellent plan for tourists. The SIM card costs 10 euros, and the plan, which is good for one month, costs €20. The plan can't be renewed, and it can't be activated on an existing SIM card. The 200 minutes are good for Italy and many other countries, not just Australia. 2 gb of data are also included, which is a lot for one month. The only thing it doesn't include is text messages, so if you want to text people, you'll have to either use an app such as WhatsApp, or add some more credit to cover texts.

Here is a description of TIM Welcome in English:

www.international.tim.it/en/tim-welcome…

5. Re: Sim card use in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 06:16