We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome and pushchairs

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Rome and pushchairs

Just wondering if someone can advice on pushchair use around these areas of Rome inside and outside the attractions.

1. Colosseum

2. Roman Forum

3. Palatine Hill.

4. Vatican museum / St Peters.

5. Vittoriano.

Castel Sant Angelo

7. Trevi fountain

8. Spanish steps

9. Abbasid Di San Paolo Fuori Le Mura

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome and pushchairs

A wheelchair will be very hard to use at sites such as the forum, palatine hill, spanish steps and trevi fountain. The walkways are cobbled and very uneven. You won't have any problems at museums and churches but getting to them may prove difficult.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome and pushchairs

Donna, a pushchair is British English for what Americans call a stroller.

At the Colosseum, you'll be limited in where you can go, unless you fold it and carry it.

At the Roman Forum, there are a lot of paths with uneven ancient paving blocks, but some asphalt paths.

On the Palatine Hill, there are a lot of asphalt paths. An internal connection with steps (and maybe a ramp(?)) connects the Palatine Hill with the Roman Forum.

You can use it in the Vatican Museums, but you'll have to carry it up and down some steps. The museum is *extremely* crowded, and I would hesitate to take a baby or young child there, lest someone not see the stroller and trip over your child. Also, I think the heat and crowds would be stressful for a baby.

You can use it in St. Peter's Basilica, but I would go late in the day when it's less crowded.

If you'll be in Rome on a Friday evening, I would try to do your Vatican visit in the evening of that day. The Vatican Museums have a special opening on Friday evenings beginning at 7 PM. The Basilica closes at 7 PM. You could go to the Basilica around 5 PM, when it's usually not very crowded, and then walk around the walls (about a 10-minute walk) to the Museums. You can reserve tickets here:

mv.vatican.va

If you want to go inside the Colosseum, you should reserve tickets in advance there as well, because there is usually a very long ticket queue. However, given that you're traveling with a baby and a push chair, and especially if it's hot, you might want to admire the ancient sites from the outside. You can walk all the way round the Colosseum, and you can see a good deal of the Roman Forum from Via dei Fori Imperiali.

For San Paolo fuori le Mura, you'd normally get there on the metro. Many of the stations have steps and no elevators.

I don't understand the question with respect to other places. They're places you go to see. At Trevi Fountain you stand and look at the fountain, so I don't see what the push chair has to do with that. Do you mean on the streets nearby? All of central Rome has a fair amount of rough paving, narrow streets, crowds, few sidewalks, obstacles blocking those sidewalks that do exist, and other limitations. We found that when we took the stroller, we often had to fold it and carry it, and when we didn't take it, we often wished we had.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome and pushchairs

Due to the uneven pavement, stairs, and lack of sidewalks traveling with a toddler can be slow. Rome is not stroller or drive friendly.Visitors are forbidden to drive within the central city where many of the sights are. The pavement in much of the city is very uneven. Sidewalks are often missing and you have to "share" with the cars and the motorbikes, both of which are traveling at high speeds often. If you take public transit, you have to lug the stroller on and off the bus or Metro. on the Metro there are no elevators at most of the stops andf you have to carry the stroller (and the toddler) down a flight of stairs

I am not sure if this is helpful or not, but here are some pictures that show you what the streets in Rome look like.

I am not sure if this is helpful or not, but here are some pictures that show you what the streets in Rome look like.

Near the Theater of Marcellus

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

street in the Monti Rione north of the Colosseum near the Cavour Metro stop

Pedestrian only area in streets between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain

From Castel Sant'Angelo Bridge of Angels, but you can see what the street looks like where the bridge ends and the street begins further on

Forum

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome and pushchairs

We did travel with a toddler in Rome, in successive years. One thing that we found useful was a sling that helped to distribute the weight when we carried her. I would get a stroller (push chair) that can be folded easily and is light enough to carry for a short time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,364 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome and pushchairs

one of our daughters (who has two children) brought a double stroller (one in front of the other and foldable) with her to Rome. It worked well for days of leisure when we stayed in the Centro and visited the Piazzas etc. For days venturing into the Colosseum or the Roman Forum, the younger one was in a "sling" and the older one walked. I would not bring a child who still needs to be in one into the Vatican Museum due to the crowds etc. You need to be flexible.

The plus for that particular stroller, while it can be large, it wasn't wide and has excellent traction for the cobblestoned streets and uneven pavement.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,771 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome and pushchairs

Just to add to the excellent advice above, I can't stress enough the importance of the lightweight collapsible stroller. One that is preferably inexpensive, and even disposable if it were too much or got damaged.

My wife learned this the hard way, when she brought over a really expensive stroller, only to have it scratched, and dented in transit, and provided little to no extra advantages over a cheap stroller. On our second visit, we took a Baby Bjorn carrier and a collapsible stroller that came with a carry bag. After our trip, we just donated the cheap stroller to the hotel (I'm not suggesting you do this, but after shopping and travelling for weeks with the little one, the benefit of leaving it, out weighted carrying it home)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome and pushchairs

One of the best uses for the stroller is as a place for the baby to nap while you're having a leisurely Roman dinner.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,364 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome and pushchairs

you want a stroller that is sturdy enough to withstand the cobblestones, give your child a comfortable place to "perch and rest on", and comfortable enough for you not to care if it gets dented, scratched but hopefully not stolen until the end of your trip.

9. Re: Rome and pushchairs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:16