We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

I would like to plan a day trip to Tivoli from Rome and wondering how much time I need to budget for the whole visit, round trip. I want to leave as early as possible and will enjoy the gardens and villa, but do not intend to spend hours on hours walking around as I am trying to maximize my 2.5 days in Rome :)

Thanks for your help!

PS - I've been reading about how to get there, looks as though I can take a train or bus - which might be the fastest?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

I think you mean the Villa d'Este in the town of Tivoli. Tivoli Gardens is in Copenhagen! There are three villas in Tivoli that are very popular with tourists, but the Villa d'Este is probably the most popular.

I'm not sure I would go there at all if I had only 2 1/2 days in Rome. It will take at least hald If you do decide to go, the train would be quicker, but there's a bit of a walk (I think around 15 minutes) from the station to the villa. There's a pedestrian bridge at the station which apparently cuts a good deal of time from the walk. We drove there, so I can't give you any more specific help. The direct trains take about an hour and ten minutes. Then you'd have to add the time to get to the station in Rome, and the walk to the villa in Tivoli.

You can see the gardens easily in an hour or two, so the biggest factor would be the travel time. I think you'll spend the better part of a day on this trip.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
840 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

From this map you can see the position of "Villa d'Este" in relation to the train station.

http://www.turismo.it/viaggi/tivoli/mappa/

The distance is about 1 Km

Brun066

NY
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

Hadrian is the other one most popular. I too think you should plan on most of a day to do this trip, or not go.

There is another recent thread that has links to Ron in Rome's detailed instructions with pictures showing how to get there on your own.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

I assumed KLC wanted the Villa D'Este rather than Hadrian's Villa, because of the mention of the gardens.

There's also the Villa Gregoriana, which supposedly has beautiful gardens, but which were closed for restoration when we were there. They've now reopened, but they aren't as famous as the other two.

NY
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

Agree Villa D'Este is the main act, I don't mean to suggest someone should go out there to only Hadrian

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

Actually I found Hadrian's villa more interesting, but I'm very interested in ancient Rome.

7. Re: Time needed for Tivoli gardens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16