We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night of museums more the night of queues

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Night of museums more the night of queues

Thought some of the open places would be special in the night but I have never seen such huge queues anywhere, and Rome has some good ones.

The only place we found no queue was the Pantheon which I suppose is always free and doesn`t have the novelty of the rarely opened places.

Guess you have to choose your site and be prepared to spend an hour or two waiting to get in.

Doubt I`ll be here again when it`s on but I wonder if anyone has some hints for a more succesful night than we had.

The Farnese Palace queue was round the square and halfway across the Campo and it wan`t moving very fast and the Capitoline was moving fast but was all the way round the square.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

It sounds as though it was a resounding success.

Here is an article in La Repubblica, which has a slideshow where you can see photos of the queues.

…repubblica.it/cronaca/…86428088

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,087 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

Free days are always the days to avoid if you don't enjoy waiting for hours; this is true anywhere in Europe. It is also true for White Nights in Paris for example.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

Looks like a Night of Horrors for me !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

Holy cow. Not enough money in the world would make me go through that - then, all those people (for the most part) are then inside too. Ack.

I really can't see traveling to Italy and subjecting oneself to all that just to save some euros - I mean, how many museums can one do in that time period anyway - so, maybe saving a max of 20 euros?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

There was a just a report on the evening news here in Italy on the Notte dei Musei. According to them, a great many of the visitors were Rome residents, and that a lot of them were young people. There was a nominal 1-euro fee to get in. I would imagine that a lot of the visitors would be people who ordinarily wouldn't visit museums, so from that point of view, I think it's a great thing.

About four years ago, we were in Rome in the week after Easter, always a very busy week, during Culture Week, when everything was free all week. (This is an event that seems to have ended due to lack of funds.) We were able to enter the Colosseum with a wait of only about two minutes, as most of the visitors seemed not to know about the free entry. In fact, the main thing that slowed the queue was the puzzled tourists who didn't understand why the ticket sellers didn't want their money. (They gave tickets out, even though admission was free, just to be able to know how many entered.)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

We`ve also been in Rome for culture week. (Starting off as confused tourists) and found it great.

I often like a quick peek to see whether or not I want to see more and it was perfect for that.

As a tourist my time is too valuable to spend a couple of hours standing in a queue but would have liked to see the farnese palace which i think is rarely open.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

The Farnese Palace now has regularly scheduled visits. For many years you could visit it by sending them an email requesting permission; they gave priority to people with an academic interest, and you had to take a tour either in French or Italian. About six years ago, my daughter was writing a book for which some of the frescoes in the Farnese Palace were of interest to her; she visited at that time, but I didn't get to see it, because I had to babysit her daughter; they wouldn't allow children in. Since then, I've visited when it was open for a special occasion, I'm not sure which, on an Italian tour; it might have been the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy.

They now have guided tours in French, Italian, or English, on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday afternoons, for only 5 euros. Children under 10 are still not admitted.

inventerrome.com/index.php/en/visiting-the-p…

The famous Caracci gallery is now being restored, and won't be open until sometime in 2015. However, they are showing for the first time some small rooms, including one decorated by Caracci.

The palazzo is definitely worth a visit. Another beautiful French building in Rome is the Villa Medici, in the Villa Borghese Gardens, which has guided tours in English every day except Monday, at noon:

villamedici.it/en/…

8. Re: Night of museums more the night of queues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 06:16