We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains in Italy!!!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Station...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trains in Italy!!!

Hi I am heading to Italy at the end of August ... I intend on Day tripping and I need to take public transportation ... If I pay for a Eurail pass, do I still pay for seat reservations to each of the cities I'd like to visit? Would anyone know of a website to reserve both a Eurail pass and reserve seats?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains in Italy!!!

A Eurail pass in Italy isn't cheaper than point-to-point tickets. You do have to pay an additional fee for seat reservations on the faster trains as well. I would recommend you go to Trenitalia.com, use a date a week from now, and type in the cities you want to travel to, and get an idea of cost.

I would recommend you read this article by Rick Steves

ricksteves.com/travel-tips/…italy-rail-passes

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,651 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains in Italy!!!

Surprisingly enough, the site for purchasing Eurail passes is www.eurail.com - assuming that you would only be visiting Italy, eurail.com/eurail-passes/…italy (and they will also make reservations - at a price! - for those trains that require them, see http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/guide-eurail-train-reservations/how-do-i-book-my-reservations).

However, I would not recommend buying a Eurail pass for Italy: if you will be travelling on fast Frecce trains run by Trenitalia (pass does not cover Italotreno) you will pay more for a seat reservation than you would have paid buying the ticket in advance, and if this would be on Regionale trains, which you can't reserve anyway, there is no advantage.

In any case, if you were to buy an Adult 2nd-class 3-day pass for €180, this means spending an average of €60 per day for each of the days covered: which would be a bit silly if, for example, you were in fact using it for a day trip for which you could have paid €18 buying individual tickets (as Super Economy prices start at €9 each way: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=a2a2bd6bc1abf310VgnVCM1000008916f90aRCRD)!

As you don't say WHICH cities you would be travelling to, and from where, you will have to look up the prices using individual tickets on www.trenitalia.com - and as this is for August, where any of these are R trains you will have to redo the search using a date in the next 7 days in order to see the prices.

Free State, South...
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains in Italy!!!

We are in Italy at the moment. We pre-booked our long distance trains and for our day trips, we used the regional trains. If you pre-book your long distance trains well in advance, you get excellent prices.

Tickets for regional trains are purchased at the station, either by using the ticket booth (here you can also have your questions answered about the trains)or at an

automated machine. These are really user friendly, just

select the English option and go step by step.

We haven't had any problems getting seats on the regional trains. If we had used a rail pass, our transport would have cost us around 60% more.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains in Italy!!!

A Eurail pass is a very expensive option for Italy.

Have a look at the excellent man in seat 61 website for information on passes and European train travel in general (www.seat61.com)

Also check out the Trip Advisor train travel forum (tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…). A quick search in there for Eurail will have you convinced in no time that passes are a very bad idea.

5. Re: Trains in Italy!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 06:16