We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome (ROMA) Train Station

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Rome (ROMA) Train Station

We just got back from our Italy vacation and had the opportunity to use the high speed trains. They were great. We used the Rome train station and wanted to just give a few tips/info.

In doing research, we found many comments about the Rome station, a lot of them negative. It is a modern station with 24 train platforms. As you can imagine, it can be very busy with people getting on and off the trains. The station is clean and has shops, restaurants, pharmacy, quick-eat places. It is short on seating however, so if you arrive early, you might have to sit on your bag!

As many have posted, it is best to use the ticket kiosks to get your ticket, if you don't have one. They are touch screen, multi-language, easy to use. One tip. When you are paying for your tickets at the kiosk with your credit card, don't quickly stick the card in and pull it out (like we do for most transactions). The machine will not accept it. When it is time to pay, insert your card and leave it in the slot until you get the transaction completed message, about 5 seconds. Then remove the card.

If you want to use the ticket counter instead, you will have to first pull a number before getting in line (Think DMV). You may have a long wait to see an agent!

One note about the local "helpers" at the station. These are individuals who want to help you with the kiosk or lead you to the train or put your bags in the train car. They do not work for the station, but are looking for a tip from you. That's not so bad, but the problem comes from the tip they want. One helper helped a couple place one suitcase from the platform onto the train car. They tipped him a euro, but that was not enough. The helper followed them onto the car, to their seat, and asked for more money. When they gave another euro, the helper asked for more. It was not threatening, just rude, pushy and embarrassing. Best thing to do: just ignore them, don't let them touch your bag and walk away. Just put your own bag into the train car and then into the overhead rack. If you do get stuck with one that will not leave, tell him to leave or you will get off the get the police (they are in the station). They will leave.

I am sure in the midst of the crowds, there is a pickpocket or two. But we had our money secured in a money belt and kept our bags close. No problems at all.

Finally, to use the restroom, we had to pay the attendant $0.70 euro....or at least the person told me he was the attendant!

Doug

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,966 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,606 reviews
from US$57.10*
US$63.40
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,764 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

Just a few notes.

First, there are actually 26 tracks, the last two are used for regional trains and are located about three blocks away from the main track head.

Second, all of the toilets I've used at Termini are pay ones, in order to keep them clean.

Third, there actually are paid helpers for the kiosks, not everyone who offers you help is scheming for something. They wear clothing that identifies them as employees and will help you through the touch screens if you need help. If you don't, they leave you alone.

A map of the station is available here: http://www.romatermini.com/it/map/

Edited: 20 May 2014, 02:26
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

All good additions! Just watch for the unpaid helpers!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

I have been bothered by pushy unpaid helpers at the ticket machines. I once made a mistake buying my ticket because the man wouldn't go away, and wouldn't even stand back. I had to go to the ticket window to exchange the ticket. I did tell this guy that I would call the police if he didn't leave me alone, but he just laughed. In fact, there was not a single policeman to be seen when this happened, and he must have known it. Later, I saw two policemen on patrol, and looked around to see where the "helpers" had gone, but every one of them had vanished. They seem to have an uncanny knowledge of the patrol schedule.

I do want to add that not all unpaid helpers are looking for tips. I've often been helped by kind people who wanted nothing other than to be helpful. I myself always offer to help elderly people struggling with their bags, or parents with young children. Somethings they refuse my help; they have reason to be cautious, but it's a shame that we have to distrust each other. I think you can usually tell the difference between someone looking for money and someone who's just trying to help.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

Great comments! My wife and I had the best trip of our lives in our recent Italy vacation. Just helping others doing something as simple as getting through the train station a bit easier and what to watch for helps make their travels less stressful.

I agree on helping others. I was waiting for my wife while she was in a shop and I saw two female tourists trying to read their maps...I think trying to get to Campo de Fiori. After about 5 mins of watching them twist and turn their map, I walked over and asked if I could help them. They abruptly said "No!" and walked away. I understand...traveling away from home can be stressful!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

Not all credit cards, including ones from the US, can be used in those kiosks. I have been unable to use them in any machines the past few years as I do not have a chip and pin card. If yours does not work, buy your ticket from a human where you can use the card which I have done a few times.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

For us on our trip last week from the Termani station, my non-chip AMEX card worked...but only after i left the card in the slot until the transaction was completed and the digital screen above the card slot told me that the transaction was completed. Then, i removed the card and the tickets printed. Just my experience.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

You had a good experience, I didn't so people should know they may or may not be successful with the credit cards - I am not the only one who has reported not being able to use it. So, they should try it and then, if it doesn't work, go to a representative.

I posted because in your OP it reads like this will always work and it doesn't. I too left the card in and the machine all but laughed at me…on a number of trips.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

I got it. It can be frustrating since some of the machines did not work too. But, having to pull that number and wait to be called to see an agent, can take a while. Like you, we tried several machines to find one that worked for us....but kept our number just in case we had to see the agent!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

There's one thing that always works in the machines: cash! The cards without chip and pin still work in ATM machines, so you can withdraw cash and use it to buy the tickets. This might avoid waiting in a long line at the ticket window. There's a branch of the Intesa San Paolo bank alongside track 1, and there are other bank machines on the lower level.

10. Re: Rome (ROMA) Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16