We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-buying Train Tickets

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-buying Train Tickets

Hi,

I arrive at Fiumicino Aeroporto at 10.30am and need to travel to Naples.

1. Is it cheaper to pre-purchase train tickets or there is no fare difference?

2. If I was to pre-purchase, what time of departure should I purchase from Fiumicino Aeroporto and Roma Termini? I read online the ticket time cannot be changed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,917 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-buying Train Tickets

It is cheaper to buy in advance.

But reduced price tickets cannot be changed, and full price tickets can only be changed for one hour after the departure of your booked train, and only at the departure station during that hour.

So buy on arrival, at full price. You cannot predict whether your plane will arrive on time nor how long it will take you to leave the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,613 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-buying Train Tickets

You can buy from FCO to Naples at the train station at FCO, either from the ticket office or from the travel agency.

Blacksburg, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-buying Train Tickets

We will be in Rome for four days before we take a train to Basel (via Milan). I've tried buying on TrenItalia's website with absolutely no luck. I've also tried calling their 24/7 help line but always get told to leave a message, which is never returned.

I don't want to spend an hour of my time in Rome standing at a ticket counter in Termini, but I would like to get a discounted ticket. Is there a way to find a travel agency that speaks English that I could use? I can call internationally for free this month, so calling isn't a problem...but I don't speak Italian.

Thanks for any help. I'm staying near the Trevi Fountain if it matters.

Blacksburg, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-buying Train Tickets

I called within 5 minutes of posting this message and did connect to an operator at TrenItalia! Hooray! Tickets purchased, one more thing ticked off my list.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-buying Train Tickets

Here are the DANGERS of purchasing tickets for the RESERVED trains in advance, for use IMMEDIATELY upon arrival by plane:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k5788…

NOTE: the lowest fare ("SUPER ECONOMY") on the Frecciarossa/Frecciargento train between Rome and Naples is now 19 Euros and not 9 Euros. The 9-Euro fare is still available on the slower Intercity and Frecciabianca trains.

6. Re: Pre-buying Train Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:15