We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papal Audience August 2014

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Papal Audience August 2014

I will be in Rome with my family this August and noted that there are no scheduled masses in July or August. Does anyone have information to the contrary?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

The Pope is usually on vacation (or at least out of the city) in August so there are usually no papal audiences.

Donna

Birmingham
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

This link may give you the information you require http://www.papalaudience.org/tickets Please note that the tickets are completely FREE of charge. I have just returned from a 5 day trip to Rome and was fortunate to obtain tickets for the papal audience. On the website you can download a form and then fax the information to the number given on the form. You can also book tickets online for the Vatican Museum which helps to bypass the long queues

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

We also purchased a Roma 3 day pass which was good value http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
242 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

The Papal audience isn't a mass. There are numerous masses in Saint Peter's Basilica every day, and even more on Sundays, but they aren't generally attended by the Pope.

Pope Francis broke the tradition of the August papal holiday last year. He stayed in the city all month, but since the Vatican printing press closed down (as it always had) for the month, they couldn't print the tickets for the audience, so the audiences were called off. If they're planning to do anything different this year, it's too early to tell.

If you'll be in Rome on a Sunday, you could go to St. Peter's Square to see the pope recite the Angelus and greet the crowd from a balcony above the square. Bring binoculars if you want to see him, and get there very early if you want to get anywhere near the balcony.

Mentioned in this post
St. Peter's Basilica
St. Peter's Basilica
33,356 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
242 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

The romapass has NOTHING to do with the Vatican or the Vatican museums so I'm not sure why it would be mentioned in post #2. It doesn't get you any discounts at the Vatican museums. It's a sites pass for Rome and not Vatican city.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
242 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican City
Vatican City
5,791 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Kota Kinabalu...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

Hi, I found information form this website vatican.va/various/…udienze_en.html which says that the Papal Audience in August is to be held on Wednesday 6, 20, 27 and tickets are not required. Hope this helps.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
893 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

We will be there on August 20. Since no tickets are required, how do you get a seat for the Papal audience? Do you just arrived early and queue. Thank you.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 04:25
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

In August, the Vatican printing press shuts down, so they can't print tickets. You just go early and try to get a good spot in St. Peter's Square. If you want to be able to see anything at all, I would suggest going very early, before 8 AM, for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
242 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

What time does the audience start ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Papal Audience August 2014

I believe it starts at 10 AM in the summer. The crowds since Pope Francis arrived have been incredible, so unless you arrive very early, you may not even fit in the square.