We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
472 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

Hi

We are heading to Italy in October from the 6th to 27th of October 2014. We are starting and finishing in Rome but we are travelling the lenght and breath of Italy from Lake Como down to Sicily.

I just need to know does it actually get cold in October. I am trying to work out what to pack and if I need to buy some warm cloths.

I am from Brisbane Australia so it does not get very cold here, and when it does it is for a couple of weeks and that is it

Regards

Vicki

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

Hello,Vicki,

Can't help with an answer - but we Brissie people have a common fear - "the cold".

See my post today "Staying Warm in Winter" where I received some informative replies. I was talking about Christmas so I guess you could add a little bit more warmth for October.

Tragic

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
472 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

Thnaks for the answer Tragic

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

In Rome it will get cool in the evenings. In the North it will be colder. I would pack clothing that can be layered as well as a few sweaters and a jacket. The jacket doesn't need to be heavy if you can wear layers under it.

Donna

Edited: 26 May 2014, 12:43
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

The north will obviously be cooler than the south but will still be warm. It might rain more but the atmosphere will not be as damp as it is here in Wales! We have been to Southern Italy in October and have had a mix of weather from mostly beautiful, dry, very warm days, some hot, sunny days and a couple of torrential showers. This April was similar but slightly cooler and we had thunderstorms!

It should be lovely for sight seeing. Pack a few layers. A pashmina/shawl is handy as you can cover yourself in the Basilica and churches and use in the evenings. It was too warm for us to wear anoraks on the rainiest day so we just used a brolly.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

One year can be very different from the next. Also, a great deal of climate difference depends on altitude, as this is a mountainous country. I suggest that you begin following weather forecast sites a month or so before your trip; this is something I usually do, not so much to see the forecast so far in advance, but to get an idea of what the day-to-day weather is like. Most of these forecast sites let you save favorite locations.

For an upcoming trip to Scotland, I have three locations, with different weather conditions expected, saved to my favorites on an Italian weather forecast site I use. Every day, I have a look at the temperatures in those three places, and whether it's raining (which it usually is!) As we get closer to the trip, I'll start looking at the forecasts as well. Then, shortly before the trip, I'll decide exactly what I want to pack. I'm having similar problems to yours. I know it will be considerably cooler in Scotland than it is here in Italy, but it's hard to wrap my head around how it will really feel.

In October, there is a good chance of rain here in Italy, especially further north. It's very unlikely that you'd need winter clothing, even in the north. I would bring a good rain-and-wind-resistant light jacket, preferably with a hood, and a warm sweater you can wear under it. I'd bring a lightweight cotton cardigan as well, for cool evenings. A warm hat and scarf take up very little room in your suitcase and can make you feel a lot warmer. I always wear leather gloves even in cool autumn weather, because my skin cracks with the very first signs of cold weather. You will probably want to wear long slacks most days, and long-sleeved tops, but you could bring a pair of capris and a few short-sleeved tops for the warmer days. You'll probably want to wear closed shoes, but a pair of sandals might come in handy as well.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

Average high/low for Rome in October is 23-12 deg C. Nov is 17-8 deg C.

worldweatheronline.com/Rome-weather-averages…

NJ
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

Dear Vicki (and bvlenci, too!),

Take a gander at this site:

http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;ws=32307

This particular link should center on Rome, but you can move around on the map to different cities. You choose a locality and a date, and the site brings up charts that provide the ranges in temperature (absolute highs and lows, along with mean and 25th and 75th percentiles) that occur in the chosen locality, along with chance of rain etc. for the particular date chosen.

It should help provide a range of temperatures that are likely to occur on the dates you want to visit a particular city.

Take a look and tell us what you think.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,859 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

The past two October's have been mild and delightful in Sicily, so perhaps begin in Northern Italy with Lake Como, and see Sicily just prior to Rome at the end of your route.

See Rome once. If departing from Rome, then see Rome at the end of your itinerary to position for your departing flight.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

I am traveling on almost the exact same dates and decided to fly into Milan and go downwards flying out of Rome partly because of the rain factor with the North mostly the first part of October

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,859 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How cold does it get in Italy in October 2014

Yes, travel north to south in autumn, and travel south to north in spring.

Vagabonda