We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip Train Rome to Pompeii

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
day trip Train Rome to Pompeii

I have been reading lots of reviews for info regarding train Rome-Pompeii for the day. Can anyone please tell me if you can "simply" go to the Rome termini and purchase a train ticket there and then (or even 3 days earlier when we arrive in Rome) ... or do we have to prebook it before we leave Australia. We are planning to do this daytrip on Saturday 29th June. Also would you recommend an audio guide v guide (and are they hanging around the enterance). Ive tried looking at the train sites and getting myself totally confused and starting to freak out. thankyou in anticipation of your knowledge :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip Train Rome to Pompeii

Why are you freaking out? Yes, you can just go and buy a ticket on whichever day you want to go; if you do, you will miss out on any offered discounts you may now find for Rome to Naples but that is up to you. You will pay the base price on the day of - that is the same "base" price you see on the Trenitalia website.

www.trenitalia.com - click on small UK flag top right to get English, use station names Roma Termini and Napoli Centrale, put a low number like 6 in the box for the hour to get a full day schedule of trains - there are many each day.

From Naples, you will walk downstairs after you arrive in the Napoli train station and buy a ticket for Pompei Scavi at the window for the Circumvesuviana (local train that you cannot buy tickets for in advance) - will be less than 5 euros, probably less than 4 euros, not sure) - those trains run about every 30 minutes or so.

It's not difficult to do - at all.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip Train Rome to Pompeii

More info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k714…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip Train Rome to Pompeii

THANK YOU you so much MomCat1992...great simple advice. I was freaking out because I couldn't even understand the trentitalia website... How to get it in English or how to the complete days schedule)....and now I can :),

and Thankyou GACs your-link has enlightened me to what the different trains hence price difference.

Your advice has made me a very happy traveller (to be)

4. Re: day trip Train Rome to Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:17