We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Also, we want to do Piazza Navona, Temple of Hadrian, in addition to the Pantheon, preferably at night (after 7:00pm). Can you get access inside these at that late hour, or just the exterior? Sorry for the dumb question, I've never been to Rome before.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 22:46
Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Pantheon closes at 7 PM. I have never heard of an after hours tour. Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain--these are possible, of course. If you mean Castel Sant'Angelo, I believe it closes around 7 as well.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Thanks for this information. I could not find Pantheon hours anywhere. I appreciate it!

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Hey 'EricScott' Here is a fun 'site' for a first timer to Rome...checkout the sights:

skylinewebcams.com/de/…piazza-navona.html

Enjoy...

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Sorry, Eric, I was wrong. It closes at 7:30 in the summer. If you are an early riser, it's nice in the morning, before the hordes get there. A neat trick I learned recently is that on Google maps, if you click on a monument, it brings up opening hours and some info, as well as relevant websites.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

MoltoBene, thanks for that link! Love it!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Many do not know this, but the Pantheon is the single most significant monument of Roman antiquity, and the single most noteworthy monument in Rome, even more significant than the Colosseum (Flavian Amphitheatre). From a purely architectural and civil engineering perspective, the Pantheon is probably the single most significant monument of all antiquity, comparable to the Egyptian pyramids and the ancient Greek temples. There are very few other monuments from antiquity which rival the Pantheon.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Great link! Thanks! The Trevi Fountain looks beautiful at night. How cool would it be to be among the only people there, like the ones in that live shot (3:34am local time)

Edited: 02 June 2014, 02:35
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Was today (still Sunday here) the day when the petals were dropped from the Oculus of the Pantheon?

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

GAC is correct; I would make the time to see the inside of the Pantheon, which is the only way to appreciate its dome, even if I had to give up an Underground Tour to find the time.

For over 1000 years, the dome of the Pantheon was the world's largest dome, and it's still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome, over 2000 years after it was built. In the Renaissance, when Brunelleschi was trying to figure out how to build an enormous cupola for the Duomo in Florence, no one could figure out how the Romans had accomplished it.

Some of the most amazing things to see in Rome are free or inexpensive, don't have to be reserved in advance, and don't have long queues to get in.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Maryland
Level Contributor
571 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you go into the Pantheon at night?

Angel tours has a daily free Pantheon tour at 7pm, we plan on doing it next Saturday. http://angeltours.eu/rome/free-pantheon-tour

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,222 Reviews
Rome, Italy