We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

When we visited Rome the restaurant in our hotel had a small container on each table that read "Per Una Tavola in Ordine" and we were wondering if anyone knows what the purpose of this container is? We assumed it was for trash from our table (ie. sugar packets, butter wrappers, etc.) I've never seen these containers anywhere else and I am hoping that we didn't improperly use the container.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

Was it in the morning? At breakfast? Then yes, you are absolutely correct that this is for "trash". Fruit peels, egg shells, butter wrappers, etc.....

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

INever seen such a thing but I'd assume one should put used napkins, or cigarette butts, or crumbs in there...

Edited: 02 June 2014, 09:54
London, England
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

Yes, it would be for the rubbish. I have seen them in quite a lot of hotels, particularly in Spain.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

I've seen them in bars near where I live, in Le Marche, and in a gelateria near our house.

rome
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

i have seen these in about half the hotels i have been to. they are for "table-waste": definitely not for cigarette butts (there are, where it is allowed to smoke, ashtrays for that) but the wrappers for those small individual hotel size portions of butter, cheese, marmalade, etc, egg shells.....

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

As others have said they are for rubbish. The hotel we stay at in Courmayeur, Val d'Aosta, has mini stainless steel swing bins placed on the breakfast tables for people to dispose of their used teabags, butter wrappers etc.

mesh

Edited: 02 June 2014, 14:48
CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad we were using it properly!

CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad we were using the containers for the correct purpose!

CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad we were using the containers properly!

10. Re: Wondering about the small container on our restaurant table

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:16