We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Rome train questions

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Rome train questions

Hi guys

Im looking at taking a train from Venice to Rome in September, and I have a question please. Theres something i cant quite figure out, do these trains have space for luggage? Like real travel luggage?

The ticket im looking at so far is on the Frecciargento train, 2nd Class Super Economy for 29 euros pp.

Ive read about "MINI" tickets but i cant seem to figure out where to find these and what they are

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Rome train questions

The earlier you buy the cheaper and 29 is a pretty decent fare; the 9 Euro fares go quickly as soon as they are available. If you dln't see them, they are already sold.

It is wise to travel light with carry on size luggage which can go above the seat. Large bags go at the ends of the cars and there is some risk there -- although less so on long distance limited stop trains than on regional trains with many stops. Plan to board as early as possible if you want to get space for luggage on the racks at the ends of cars. (I have heard that some newer cars have racks in the middle of the cars, which would be great -- but I haven't seen those)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,908 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Rome train questions

There aren't any MINI tickets anymore, the various levels of fares are (from the cheapest) : Super Economy, Economy, and BASE (full fare)

As regards luggage space in the middle of the newer cars, you will find them on the Frecciargento and Frecciarosa trains only.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Rome train questions

The cheapest ticket on the fast Frecciargento train between Venice and Rome is 29 Euros.

The only tickets for 9 Euros would be on the slower and older Intercity train between Rome and Venezia MESTRE, where you must connect to a local train (extra charge) to Venice proper.

While the Frecciargento trains runs hourly or better, there are only two Intercity trains per day on this route.

As a general rule, you need to book way in advance to get the lowest discounted fares. If so, you WILL find the 9-Euro fare for the Intercity as well as the 29-Euro fare for the Frecciargento. These are known as the "SUPER ECONOMY" fare, which has these rules:

1. Non-refundable

2. Non-changeable

3. Forfeited if you MISS the reserved train for any reason other than a late connection from another Trenitalia train (with a minimum official connection time of 15 minutes)

4. Requires advance purchase (not offered on the day of travel itself)

5. Capacity-controlled

Edited: 04 June 2014, 12:47
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Rome train questions

Yes, there is ample space for luggage. We took the Frecciargento, which only stopped at Bologna and Florence. I selected seats near the luggage racks to keep an eye on everything, but of course, nothing was disturbed.

5. Re: Venice to Rome train questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:16